Thursday, April 14, 2022
Newsletter by Jordan Slaughter

Preliminary results show Referendum No. 3 passes; Flo Milli to headline Lawnparties

Courtesy of Caroline Schuckel ’25

Todays Briefing: 

FLO MILLI TO HEADLINE LAWNPARTIES: The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Social Committee announced on Wednesday, April 13, that rapper Flo Milli is set to headline this spring’s Lawnparties festivities, to take place on Sunday, April 24. Traditionally, Lawnparties headliners perform in the backyard of Quadrangle Club on Prospect Avenue, but following safety concerns from the Fall 2021 Lawnparties and ongoing construction, Flo Milli will perform on Frist's North Lawn. Julien Chang and the Deep Green, a student band composed of four undergraduates who have toured the United States and Europe and have frequently performed at Terrace Club, are set to open for Flo Milli.

READ THE STORY →

REFERENDUM NO. 3: Referendum No. 3, which calls on Princeton administration to halt the use of Caterpillar construction machinery on campus expansion projects, met the threshold to be passed during the Spring Undergraduate Student Government (USG) election cycle this week, according to preliminary election results made public early on Wednesday, April 13. While not yet officially confirmed or certified, USG Chief Elections Manager Brian Li ’24 said that the student body “should be of an understanding that the [election] was procedurally fair and sound.”

READ THE STORY →

TIGERS IN TOWN: The Tigers in Town program will expand into the Fall 2022 semester, according to Deputy Dean of Undergraduate Students Thomas Dunne. During the Spring 2022 semester, the program — which was designed with the goals of fostering a sense of community among students and promoting local business growth — funneled more than $170,000 to local businesses.

Kateri Espinosa ’24, one student who has benefited from the program, told the ‘Prince’ that she “like[s] how it gives students the opportunity to try things in town without putting a financial strain on them,” and noted that “it’s a great way to support local businesses” and “connect with our community.”

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Why Princeton should care about COVID-slide

A tree blooms in the courtyard of Pyne Hall.
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian
Columnist Tara Shukla writes about the decline in college enrollment over the past two years during the COVID-19 pandemic and the “COVID-slide” phenomenon which describes the increase in educational inequities in the post-virtual learning world. Higher education experiences the COVID-slide through diversity losses as low-income students struggle more than ever to pursue higher education. Shukla writes that Princeton must consider how they will come out of the pandemic while maintaining its diversity without “[losing] sight of the source of this greatness: its students.”

READ THE OPINION →
SPONSORED:
SPONSORED:

OPINION | Hobson College is not a milestone for inclusion if its namesake tears down vulnerable workers at Starbucks

The Starbucks storefront on Nassau Street
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian
Guest contributor Christopher Lugo criticizes Mellody Hobson ’91's conduct as chair of Starbucks Corporation, arguing that she “[perpetuated] patterns of racialized exploitation in this country” through retaliation against Starbucks workers attempting to unionize. Hobson, the namesake for the residential college meant to start construction in the fall on the site of First College (formerly Wilson College), will be the first Black woman to have a residential college named after her. Lugo argues that although Hobson is meant to juxtapose the racist legacy of Woodrow Wilson at Princeton, her comportment in her role at Starbucks undermines the symbolism of her namesake of the new residential college.

READ THE OPINION →

At Your Leisure:

Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Tiffany Cao and Jason Luo. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp