Tuesday, April 12, 2022
Newsletter by Amy Ciceu

Canadian politician Taleeb Noormohamed ’98 speaks at Princeton event; USG discusses minors program

Canadian member of Parliament and technology executive Taleeb Noormohamed ’98 speaks with visiting journalism lecturer Razia Iqbal at a talk hosted by the Princeton Canadians Club.
Ryan Konarska / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

MEMBER OF CANADIAN PARLIAMENT SPEAKS AT PRINCETON EVENT: On Friday, Canadian member of Parliament and technology executive Taleeb Noormohamed ’98 spoke at an event sponsored by the Princeton Canadians Club. The talk was moderated by visiting journalism lecturer Razia Iqbal and touched on various topics of international affairs, such as Canada’s position in the Russian-Ukrainian conflict and the Middle East.

“I think there is both a realization and an uncomfortable acceptance that we are now going to have to do things that we previously think we didn’t want to do,” said Noormohamed in regards to NATO's reassessment of its strategies in light of Russia's continued attacks against Ukraine 

READ THE STORY →

WEEKLY USG MEETING: During this week’s Undergraduate Student Government (USG) meeting on Sunday, April 10, the Senate heard updates from Associate Dean of the College Rebekah Peeples and Academics Chair Austin Davis ’23 on the topic of minors, as well as from Associate Dean of Diversity and Inclusion Tennille Haynes on the Black & LGBTQIA Student Experience Implementation Team.

“The numbers indicated about 20 percent of Black students fall into the moderate-severe range of general anxiety in spaces where they don't feel like they belong, and one of the highest scores come from Black female students who reported higher levels of stress than their Black male counterparts as well,” Haynes said about some of the findings of the Black & LGBTQIA Student Experience Implementation Team.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | The Caterpillar Referendum overlooks important realities

A Caterpillar bulldozer.
“IDF Caterpillar D9R armored bulldozer” by MathKnight / CC BY 3.0

In a guest contribution, Jacob Katz ’23, a veteran of the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), argues that students who support peace should not vote in support of Referendum No. 3 on the USG ballot, which calls for the cessation of usage of Caterpillar machinery in on-campus construction. Katz argues that Referendum No. 3 contributes to simplifying a multidimensional conflict and overlooks the positive contributions that Caterpillar machinery has made to de-escalating violence emerging from the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

“Boycotting Caterpillar would harm the Palestinian Tractor & Equipment Company — a designated Caterpillar distributor — which describes itself as 'a leading participant in Palestine’s economic and industrial development.' This should strike us as confusing: the referendum simultaneously condemns the demolition of Palestinian homes and tacitly proposes a boycott of a flagship Palestinian construction company. Its narrow aim leads it to hurt the very people it aims to help,” writes Katz.

READ THE OPINION →

SPONSORED:

At Your Leisure:

Men’s lacrosse won both of its games last week.
Courtesy of Shelley M. Szwast/GoPrincetonTigers.
  • THIS WEEK IN SPORTS: Last week in Tiger athletics, the women’s lacrosse team triumphed over Brown, the men’s lacrosse team maintained its winning streak, and the track and field continued to set new school records. Read the comprehensive weekly recap here.
  • THE ART OF LOOKING UP: Staff writer for The Prospect Paige Cromley praises the transcendent experience of stargazing, reflecting on how examining the minutiae of the night sky nourishes the soul and keeps her grounded as a student concentrating in astrophysics. Read her musings here.
  • PODCASTListen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian's daily news podcast!
Today’s newsletter was copyedited by Alexandra Hong and Alen Palic. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp