Thursday, March 31, 2022
Newsletter by Amy Ciceu

Tony Award-winning actor Ali Stroker visits Princeton; Town Council deliberates prospect of a marijuana dispensary in town

Ali Stroker, the Tony Award-winning actor and first wheelchair user to star on Broadway, at the Lewis Art complex on March 28.
Jon Sweeney / Lewis Center for the Arts

Todays Briefing: 

TONY AWARD-WINNING ACTRESS ALI STROKER COMES TO PRINCETON: On Monday, March 28, Tony Award-winning actress Ali Stroker performed an original show and discussed her experience navigating the professional musical theater world as a person with a disability at an AccessAbility Center event held at the Lewis Art complex.

During her career, Stroker has performed at the Kennedy Center, New York’s Carnegie Hall, and the Lincoln Center, and has had television appearances on “Glee,” “Ozark,” and “Blue Bloods.” She is often recognized for making show business history as the first wheelchair user to perform on Broadway — an accolade she earned for originating the role of Anna in the Deaf West Theatre’s 2015 revival of “Spring Awakening.” In an exclusive interview with The Daily Princetonian, Stoker described the personal significance of the show she presented at the AccessAbility Center event, titled “Turning Limitations into Opportunities.”

READ THE STORY →

TOWN COUNCIL DISCUSSES MARIJUANA: This Tuesday, March 29, the Princeton Town Council convened a meeting to discuss the prospect of a marijuana dispensary in town. The meeting, which occurred over Zoom, started with an hour of presentations by stakeholders — including doctors, advocates, and politicians — both in support and opposition of the measure, before three hours of public comment.

The meeting peaked at 345 attendees and had plenty of debate between members of the public, with opposing sides citing different studies and reacting to each others’ arguments.

“The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Let’s not pave the road to [our children’s] future with poor decision-making,” one concerned parent said during the meeting.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Princeton in the service of fossil fuels

Divest Princeton stand-in at CPUC
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian
In a guest contribution, first-year student and co-coordinator of Divest Princeton Nate Howard calls into question the University’s professed commitment to being “in the nation’s service and the service of humanity” in light of its continued investments, research funding, and corporate recruitment events that rely heavily upon serving the interests of fossil fuel companies. 

“At the Council of the Princeton University Community (CPUC) meeting on March 21, we were finally told how much of Princeton’s endowment is invested in fossil fuel companies. $1.7 billion. Billion. 4.5 percent of the entire endowment,” writes Howard. “‘Princeton has a longstanding commitment to service and civic engagement’” is part of the supplemental essay question about service. Let’s correct the record. Princeton has a longstanding commitment to serving the fossil fuel industry and enabling the companies that are destroying our planet.”

READ THE OPINION →

SPONSORED:

OPINION | Letter to the Editor: Betting your future on ‘impact’ neglects inherent uncertainty

East Pyne Library cools off in the shade of a nearby tree

In a Letter to the Editor, Associate Satire Editor Daniel Viorica responds to Community Opinion Editor Rohit A. Narayanan’s recent column arguing that students should factor into consideration the ethical impacts of pursuing certain concentrations. Viorica takes a different tack, writing that future impact is a difficult metric to predict. Instead, Viorica underscores the uncertainty in the world and the importance of choosing to behave in accordance with ethical principles regardless of what concentration students ultimately declare, a decision that Viorica argues should be motivated by students’ passion for their chosen field.

“I think it would be simpler — and more straightforward — to try to be happy, because you cannot know how your actions will affect other people. You cannot know if something you put into the world will be positive or negative. You can try, you can do your best, but you can never know for sure, Viorica writes.

READ THE OPINION →

SPONSORED:

At Your Leisure:

The Tigers fought hard in the second half, scoring seven of their eight goals after the intermission.
Courtesy of @princetonwlax/Twitter.
  • WOMEN’S LACROSSE LOSES SECOND CONSECUTIVE GAME: Fresh off of a flu-ridden weekend with a few missed practices, Princeton (6–2 overall, 1–0 Ivy League), No. 11 in the nation, hosted the No. 5 Stony Brook Seawolves (7–2, 1–0 America East) at Sherrerd Field on March 29, losing 16–8 in the Tigers’ second straight loss of the season. Read the action-packed coverage of the game here.

• FROM THE PROSPECT: Contributing writer for The Prospect Audrey Zhang recounts her meaningful experience co-constructing a “Schrödinger’s Cat”-style plywood box with a twist in the introductory sculpture course VIS222, taught by professor Joe Scanlan. Read the full piece here.
  • PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast!
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Tiffany Cao and Jason Luo. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp