Tuesday, March 29, 2022
Newsletter by Amy Ciceu

Interview with LGBTQ+ and politics research scholar Andrew Reynolds; USG debates language of Caterpillar construction referendum 

The Princeton School of Public Policy and International Affairs (SPIA)
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

AN INTERVIEW WITH QP@P SCHOLAR ANDREW REYNOLDS: Senior research scholar Andrew S. Reynolds in the politics department is pursuing research of LGBTQ+ representation in the political sphere through Queer Politics at Princeton (QP@P). Since its founding in 2020, the organization has become a hub for queer research and scholarship that Reynolds says “[has] not [been] seen at any other institution.” The Daily Princetonian sat down with Reynolds for an exclusive interview about his research and the importance of QP@P.

READ THE STORY →

USG DEBATES LANGUAGE OF CATERPILLAR CONSTRUCTION REFERENDUM: At the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) meeting on March 27, a discussion began on Referendum 3, which calls for the University to boycott Caterpillar construction products. The referendum sponsor, Eric Periman ’23, who serves as president of the Princeton Committee on Palestine (PCP), noted that Caterpillar’s machinery has been employed in the demolition of many Palestinian homes. If passed, the referendum would call on the University administration to cease using Caterpillar machines on campus.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | A Higher Patriotism: A former Princeton President's remarks during an older European war still provide clarity and direction

Princeton students and town members came to the front of Nassau Hall to protest Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian

In an op-ed, Contributing Columnist David Piegaro argues that the U.S. should take proactive measures to assist Ukraine against Russia’s violent incursions into the country. Reflecting on former Princeton President John Grier Hibben’s definition of patriotism as encompassing global concerns that transcend national borders and narrow criteria, Piegaro writes that the divisive culture war issues that galvanize many Americans today are trivial in light of the mass tragedies unfolding worldwide. 

“America is sorely divided and this reflects real differences in our politics. Still, Americans everywhere ought to take to heart President Lincoln’s words: 'We must not be enemies.' We as Princeton students should try especially hard to put those words into action as many of us will go on to claim elite positions in the American society that enable us to create a real difference,” writes Piegaro.

READ THE OPINION →

SPONSORED:

SPORTS | Weekly recap and men’s baseball team loses three games to Yale

The men’s tennis team bested St. John’s 6–1 in a dominant win.
Courtesy of Beverly Schaefer/GoPrincetonTigers.com

At Your Leisure: 

• THE 2022 OSCARS: Smith's slap steals the show as CODA wins Best Picture at 94th Oscars. Read Head Sports Editor Wilson Conn's in-depth analysis of the awards night in The Prospect here.
  • TICK TICK BOOM: Senior writer for The Prospect Auhjanae McGee reviews Lin-Manuel Miranda’s directorial debut “tick, tick…BOOM.”  Read the complete review here.
  • PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast!
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Alexandra Hong. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp