Thursday, March 24, 2022
Newsletter by Amy Ciceu

‘First on Film’: Student-curated exhibit reflects on ‘the long journey’ of racial integration and inclusion at Princeton

Photo by Sol Libsohn. Reproduced with permission of Sara Prestopino

Todays Briefing: 

‘FIRST ON FILM’: Drawing from documentary photographer Sol Libsohn’s collection, a small group of undergraduate curators designed an evocative photo exhibit, now on display in Wilcox Hall of First College. Titled “First on Film: Creating Spaces for Racial Reckoning on Campus, 1960s and Now,” the curators strove to link the legacy of the 1964 Princeton Summer Studies Program (PSSP) — and First College, where it was based — to racial inclusion and student activism today.

Staff Writer Molly Taylor interviews the student curators behind the exhibit, which spotlights a pivotal moment in the University’s fraught history of racial integration: the PSSP, a program that invited 40 public high school students — 30 of whom were Black — to reside on campus and attend classes at the University. The exhibit interrogates the lesser-known history of First College, granting a revelatory look at how racial integration evolved at the University.

“[That] summer was not just an isolated event. We are trying to show the long journey of Princeton coming to terms with its relationship with race, and how it has been an ongoing battle,” curator Gil Joseph ’25 said on the enduring significance of the PSSP to contemporary conversations about race on campus.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Stop framing us as victims: Safely supporting survivors of sexual violence

McCosh Health Center houses University Counseling and Psychiatric Services (CPS) as well as the Sexual Harassment/Assault Advising, Resources and Education (SHARE) office.
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian
Senior Columnist Hannah Reynolds recounts her experience reporting her sexual assault at the University, including through Public Safety, and how the process compelled her to reconceive of victimhood as a flawed narrative that disempowers survivors of sexual assault from asserting their agency and transcending their trauma. 

“I have experienced both the enduring pain of sexual violence and the harmful consequences of others seeking to make decisions without my informed consent. These experiences have shown me that the most effective way to overturn the reductive, harmful victim narrative is restoring the power of choice to survivors. Acting without the survivor’s full consent and knowledge can ultimately cause more harm than good, even if well-intentioned,” Reynolds writes.

READ THE OPINION →

SPONSORED:

OPINION | The social implications of a maskless Princeton

Sam Kagan / The Daily Princetonian

Now that the University’s mask mandate has been lifted, Senior Columnist Andi Grene considers the social implications of students being able to engage with one another without the specter of COVID-19 guidelines and face coverings buffering their interactions. Grene reflects on the 2020-2021 academic year, noting that the friendships she cultivated were few and far between, a development she chalks up to the restricted atmosphere present at the University last year. While emphasizing that fears about the spread of COVID-19 are still warranted, Grene nevertheless expresses hope that the relaxed pandemic-era restrictions will permit greater social cohesion among the student body.

“The decision to remove the mask mandate marks the gradual, yet eventual, end to the pandemic’s social repercussions on our campus. Even though we must approach this transition with utmost sensitivity, it is a transition that is much needed. I, for one, look forward to its positive impacts on students’ social life,” Grene writes.

READ THE OPINION →

THE PROSPECT | 'The love and affection I used to have': dualism as art

A wee glance at Ameena Faruki ’22’s Program in Visual Arts senior thesis exhibition, titled “The love and affection I used to have.”
Aster Zhang / The Daily Princetonian

Head Editor of The Prospect Aster Zhang provides an eloquent review of  “The love and affection I used to have,” a Program in Visual Arts senior thesis show by Ameena Faruki ’22. Zhang describes the exhibition, which is currently being displayed in the Lucas Gallery at 185 Nassau Street, as “a dual act of creation and destruction” that incorporates 24 artfully placed photographs and six cathode-ray tube TVs to engender a vivid, interactive atmosphere. Read their full review of the exhibit here.

Daybreak

• PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast!
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Tiffany Cao and Jason Luo. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp