Friday, February 4, 2022
Newsletter by Kareena Bhakta

Former SPIA Dean Anne-Marie Slaughter ’80 discusses her latest book Renewal’

Anne-Marie Slaughter ’80.
Photo Courtesy of Anne-Marie Slaughter

Todays Briefing: 

The Daily Princetonian sat down with Anne-Marie Slaughter 80, President and CEO of the think tank New America, to discuss her most recent book “Renewal: From Crisis to Transformation in Our Lives, Work, and Politics,” her experiences as a leader, and her hopes for the future. Responding to the question of what lessons current students can take away from “Renewal,” Slaughter said she thinks “there are a lot of leadership lessons in there, which if you learn earlier, so much the better, everything from running towards the criticism to learning how to share power, thinking about risk and resilience.”

READ THE STORY →

On Tuesday, Feb. 1, Princeton students celebrated Lunar New Year on campus, blending tradition with creative approaches. A group of students gathered in Dod basement to hang up decorations commemorating Tết, the Vietnamese Lunar New Year, and prepared various traditional Vietnamese dishes in the Lockhart kitchen. Some students in Terrace F. Club gathered to make dumplings. Yet others, took advantage of Chinese restaurant 锦里 SC house on Nassau Street, eating with friends as they rang in the new year.

READ THE STORY →

Appearing for the first time as a stand-alone work in print, Toni Morrison’s only short story “Recitatif” depicts the lives of two orphaned girls — one child is Black and the other white, but Morrison never specifies the race of the individual characters. The two children meet at an orphanage where they bond over their feeling of rejection and, later, meet again during a series of encounters. Morrison once described the story as “an experiment in the removal of all racial codes from a narrative about two characters of different races for whom racial identity is crucial.”

READ THE STORY →

Obituary:

Louis A. Simpson is the namesake of Louis A. Simpson International Building on Princeton’s campus.
Courtesy of Jim Prisching / Northwestern University Office of Communications
Louis A. Simpson GS ’60 died at the age of 85 on Saturday, Jan. 8. Simpson came to the University as a graduate student in economics where he then taught the subject from 1961 to 1962 after receiving his Master’s degree. After his departure from the University, Simpson joined the business world where he worked at many prominent investment firms. Notably, Simpson became Senior Vice President of Geico and was later named Chief Executive for Capital Operations, a position he held until his retirement. Simpson is known for his philanthropic efforts, including a total of $30 million in gifts to the University. 

From Opinion:

At Your Leisure:

Attempt today’s new crossword titled ‘Star Studded.’
Hannah Mittleman / The Daily Princetonian
  • SATIRE: The Satire section brings you two entirely fictional and wonderfully hilarious pieces.
    • Read about the Universitys shock to discover some students in isolation are report feeling ... isolated?
    • Read a memo from “Dean [REDACTED]” containing new updates to campus life for Spring 2022. It may contain guidance ... or not! 
  • PODCAST: Listen to a new episode of Daybreak, a daily news podcast from The ‘Prince,’ here.
  • PUZZLES: Try your hand at a new crossword puzzle titled ‘Star Studded’ by Staff Constructor Jaeda Woodruff. 
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Genele Hua. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp