Friday, February 25, 2022
On-campus readers: Be sure to pick up a copy of our special Einstein issue in a dining hall, eating club, or distribution box near you today.
Newsletter by Kareena Bhakta

100 years after the Nobel: Introducing a special issue inspired by Einstein’s legacy

Albert Einstein sculpture.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

Letter from the Editor:

Editor-in-Chief Marie-Rose Sheinerman introduces The Daily Princetonian’s special issue, commemorating Albert Einstein 100 years after he received his Nobel Prize in Physics. Sheinerman writes, “For more than 100 years, some Princetonians have stood at the forefront of scientific discovery. This week, we ask our readers to join us in celebrating their stories.”

READ THE LETTER →

Highlights from the Issue:

Photo Courtesy of Ethan Sterenfeld

JEWISH STUDENT LIFE: Albert Einstein is widely believed to have played an integral role in the origins of Jewish student life at Princeton in the 1940s. However, a story about the failures of institutional knowledge and of The Daily Princetonian itself reveals a much older, more complex history. Utilizing a Princeton senior thesis and testimony from a 107-year-old alum (the oldest living), the real beginnings of Jewish community on campus come to light and challenge the dominant narrative.

READ THE STORY →

LANDAU: Landau, a wool clothing store on Nassau Street, housed a single-room museum at the back of their store for Einstein from the 1990s until just two years ago. Now, more comprehensive efforts are underway to commemorate the famous physicist for his work in addition to his legacy as a beloved townsperson.

READ THE STORY →

HURRICANES: Dr. Gabriel A. Vecchi, a geosciences professor at Princeton, recently gave a talk about his research based on a new modeling of hurricane frequency in the North Atlantic. Vecchi expressed that the abnormal increase in hurricane frequency during the late-20th century can be attributed to a phenomenon called aerosol forcing.

READ THE STORY →

STAFF CONTRIBUTIONS: ‘Prince’ staffers reflect on what drew them to science.

OPINION | A century after Einstein, is STEM education really breaking barriers?

McCosh 50.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian
Columnist Laya Reddy argues that Princeton’s STEM culture needs to become more inclusive of students from different backgrounds. Reddy discusses the barrier that prerequisite classes pose and the need to reform introductory courses to better support students while also acknowledging some of the merits to the STEM curriculum. Reddy writes, “It’s easy to feel overlooked or left behind in fast-paced STEM classes. Allowing students to take more ownership of their education can lead to greater involvement and inclusion at Princeton.”

READ THE COLUMN →
SPONSORED:

Multimedia:

The Institute for Advanced Study, where Albert Einstein was one of the first faculty members. 
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian
  • PHOTO: Princeton has long been a powerhouse for STEM innovation and research. Explore our photo essay to see where students in science, technology, engineering, and math learn and work.
  • PODCAST: Head Podcast Editor Hope Perry spoke with Professor Michael Gordin, who is teaching a course titled “The Einstein Era” this semester. Gordin discussed the history of science as a discipline, Einstein’s legacy at Princeton, and the experience of teaching about the scientist.

And now, your regular Friday morning briefing:

Colonial Club is one of 11 active eating clubs on Prospect Ave.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

News:

Opinion: Sports: Podcast:
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Genele Hua. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp