Wednesday, February 23, 2022
Newsletter by Caitlin Limestahl

The ‘Prince’ sits down with Nobel laureate David MacMillan; Princeton sees highest single-day COVID-19 tolls

Todays Briefing: 

Q&A WITH NOBEL LAUREATE MACMILLAN: In 2021, Princeton had a record number of University-affiliated Nobel Prize winners, claiming five of the year’s 13 laureates. Princeton professor David MacMillan shared the Chemistry prize with Benjamin List of the Max-Planck-Institut für Kohlenforschung, Germany, “for the development of asymmetric organocatalysis.” MacMillan sat for an interview with the ‘Prince’ to discuss his upbringing, research, and Princeton influence.

READ THE STORY →

HIGHEST SINGLE-DAY COVID CASE TOLLS: Feb. 15 marked the highest single-day spike among undergraduates this academic year, with 104 students testing positive for COVID-19. While the campus risk status remains in the yellow “Moderate to High” range, according to the latest data from the University’s COVID-19 dashboard, the campus positivity rate stands at 2.32 percent as of Feb. 22, a more than sevenfold increase from the 0.32 percent reported the week prior. 

READ THE STORY →

DOG AGING PROJECT: Princeton researchers and colleagues at other institutions are investigating the human aging process by studying dogs. The project is a long-term multi-institutional research endeavor meant to, in Professor Joshua Akey’s words, “better understand the genetic determinants of aging and how genes and the environment interact to influence aging.” 

READ THE STORY →
Princeton women’s swimming and diving places fourth at Ivy Championships
Courtesy of @PUCSDT/Twitter

SPORTS | Women's swim and dive competes at Ivies; former Princeton football star signed to NFL

• WOMEN’S SWIM AND DIVE PLACES FOURTH AT IVIES: In the four-day Ivy League Championship hosted at Harvard’s Blodgett Pool, the women’s swimming and diving team placed fourth overall. The final results saw Harvard first with 1503.5 points, Yale second with 1258 points, Penn third with 1256 points, and Princeton fourth with 1074 points. Next, the Tigers look forward to the NCAA Championships on March 16–19. 

• DOLPHINS SIGN FORMER PRINCETON FOOTBALL STAR: John Lovett ’19, quarterback of the undefeated, Ivy League champion 2018–2019 Princeton football team, was signed by the Miami Dolphins last week. Lovett is one of the most accomplished athletes in Princeton sports history. Following his high school career at football powerhouse DeMatha Catholic, he came to dominate the Ivy League, winning the Bushnell Cup as Ivy League Offensive Player of the Year in 2016 and again in 2018. Princeton placed first in the Ivy League both seasons.

SPONSORED:

At Your Leisure

Hannah Mittleman / The Daily Princetonian
  • PUZZLES: This crossword by Associate Puzzles Editor Juliet Corless has your name all over it! Solve her puzzle "What's In a Name?" today! 
  • PODCAST:
    • Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.
    • In this episode of Go with the Flo, Gabby Carter and Folarin discuss her YouTube page and scholarship advice, the first Black Ivy Vacation, all things High School Musical, transitioning to life after graduation, and much more.
Cold?
Sandy Lee 
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Jason Luo. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp