Tuesday, February 22, 2022
Newsletter by Amy Ciceu

University celebrates ‘Alumni Day’ in-person for first time since 2020; professor receives prestigious Wolf prize

Maria Ressa (left) and Julia Wolfe (right) have received the highest honors for Princeton alumni.
Sameer A. Khan/Fotobuddy / Office of Communications

Todays Briefing: 

UNIVERSITY HONORS STUDENTS & ALUMNI ON ‘ALUMNI DAY’: This Saturday, Feb. 19, marked the first time since 2020 that the University hosted its annual Alumni Day event in-person. Tigers from all over the globe congregated in Richardson Auditorium for a day defined by celebrations of and awards for both current students and alumni. 

This year, Louise Sams ’79, Chair of the Board of Trustees, presented the University's most prestigious awards for alumni — the Woodrow Wilson Award and the James Madison Medal — to Nobel Laureate Maria Ressa ’86 and Julia Wolfe GS ’12, respectively. University President Christopher L. Eisgruber ’83 also presented the Moses Taylor Pyne Honor Prize and the Porter Ogden Jacobus Fellowship to undergraduate and graduate students. 

READ THE STORY →

PROFESSOR AWARDED THE WOLF PRIZE: On Feb. 9, Molecular Biology Professor and Department Chair Bonnie Bassler was awarded the 2022 Wolf Prize in Chemistry, along with Carolyn Bertozzi of Stanford University and Benjamin F. Cravatt III of the Scripps Research Institute. The scientists were honored for their “seminal contributions to understanding the chemistry of cellular communication” and for devising novel methods to study these processes.

The $100,000 award is given annually by the Wolf Foundation in Israel to scientists and artists “for their achievements in the interest of mankind and friendly relations amongst peoples.” The scientific categories of the prize include agriculture, chemistry, mathematics, medicine, and physics. The chemistry prize is often considered to be the most prestigious in the field, after the Nobel Prize.

READ THE STORY →

USG CONVENES WEEKLY MEETING: On Sunday, Feb. 20, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) convened their weekly meeting, in which they brainstormed ideas for improving mental health on campus, approved a new student group — the Princeton Blockchain Society — and allocated funding for a Muslim Student Association (MSA) event.

“Mental health is more than CPS [Counseling and Psychological Services]. We want to take a holistic approach that builds in all of our different roles and we want to promote them all together,” USG President Mayu Takeuchi ’23 said when the meeting turned toward the topic of student mental health, one of her key campaign commitments when she ran for office.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | Take down the prerequisites guarding Einstein’s work

The Albert Einstein monument, located near the Albert Einstein House.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

In an op-ed, Community Opinion Editor Rohit Narayanan ’24 calls on exclusive STEM departments at the University to broaden their outreach and retention efforts by eliminating one of the primary hurdles that deters students concentrating in non-STEM fields from enrolling in particular STEM courses: cumbersome prerequisites. 

“As we celebrate the life of Albert Einstein, we should make an effort to make his scientific contributions accessible to all. As the humanities departments educate Princeton’s entire campus, the STEM departments shouldn’t be turning people away,” argues Narayanan.

READ THE OPINION →

SPORTS | A weekend recap; two Princetonians win Gold at the 2022 Beijing Olympics; and women's lacrosse wins 

Fillier and Thompson helped Canada to a 3–2 win over Team USA in the gold medal game.
Photo courtesy of @PWIH/Twitter.

At Your Leisure

Wheel of Spring Misfortune
Grace Chung / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Alexandra Hong, Abby Nishiwaki, and Howard Wang. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp