Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2022
Newsletter by Amy Ciceu

Two seniors awarded the Pyne Prize; University provides update on Venture Forward Campaign 

Claire Wayner ’22 (left) and Christian Potter ’22 (right), recipients of the 2022 Moses Taylor Pyne Prize.
Image: Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian
Photos courtesy of Claire Wayner ’22 and Christian Potter ’22

Todays Briefing: 

PYNE PRIZE RECIPIENTS ANNOUNCED: Christian Potter ’22 and Claire Wayner ’22 have been awarded Moses Taylor Pyne Prizes, the highest general distinction an undergraduate can receive.

The Pyne Prize is awarded each year to high-achieving seniors, recognizing “excellence in scholarship, character, and effective support of the best interests of Princeton University.” Past recipients of the award include U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor ’76 and University President Emeritus Robert F. Goheen ’40.

Hailing from McLean, Va., Potter is concentrating in the School of Public and International Affairs. Wayner is a Civil and Environmental Engineering concentrator from Baltimore, Md., earning certificates in environmental studies and sustainable energy. 

The two recipients will be celebrated at the annual Alumni Day Luncheon and Awards Ceremony on Feb. 19, during which President Christopher L. Eisgruber ’83 will formally present them with the awards.

READ THE STORY →

UNIVERSITY PROVIDES UPDATES ON VENTURE FORWARD CAMPAIGN: Last October, the University spearheaded its Venture Forward Campaign, an effort with three key objectives: engage alumni, spread awareness of the University's impact and vision for the future, and raise funds for University-sponsored initiatives. 

So far, Venture Forward has channeled its focus into several projects, including the development of the West Windsor Lake Campus, New College East, New College West, and Hobson College, all of which will house an increased number of students on campus.

Venture Forward also received a donation from Blair Effron ’84 and Cheryl Cohen Effron to finance the establishment of the Effron Center for the Study of America. The Center will seek to support research in American Studies and expand the range of courses exploring questions concerning American identity, among other initiatives.

READ THE STORY →

USG MEETING RECAP: During its latest meeting on Sunday, Feb. 13, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) heard an overview of the Lawnparties Review Committee Report and approved eight task forces for the upcoming year.

Director of Campus Club Lexy Sarstedt, who works under the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students (ODUS) and has served as an advisor to the USG Social Committee since August 2019, presented a brief overview of the report compiled by the Lawnparties Review Committee following the Fall 2021 Lawnparties.

The three recommendations outlined in the report were informed by 768 student responses collected from a survey administered earlier in the fall. Recommendations include the implementation of a vetting system for potential performers, the continued administration of student experience surveys post-Lawnparties, and a consideration of increased class sizes and new buildings on campus as the University expands.

READ THE STORY →

CAMPUS COVID-19 CASES CONTINUE DECLINE: For the third consecutive week, campus COVID-19 cases have continued to decline. Currently, the campus positivity rate stands at 0.32 percent, placing the University in the “Moderate to High” range for campus risk status. In accordance with these downward trends, the University recently reduced the number of weekly required COVID-19 tests from most students participating in the asymptomatic testing protocol from twice to once weekly.

READ THE STORY →

SPORTS | A weekly recap & more

Women’s fencing, currently ranked No. 1 in the country, captured the Ivy League title on Sunday.
Photo courtesy of @princetonfencing/Instagram.

THE PROSPECT | Navigating doubts, hopes, and hormone replacement therapy at Princeton

José Pablo Fernández García / The Daily Princetonian
In this self-essay, an anonymous contributor describes their experiences with navigating the expression of their gender identity as a nonbinary individual and takes readers along their journey to accessing hormone replacement therapy (HRT) through University Health Services (UHS) at McCosh Health Center.

“None of my fears came to light. I was met with only sympathy, kindness, and a professionalism that I didn’t expect to be granted as a trans person. UHS practices an 'informed consent' model of gender-affirming care, which basically means that a practitioner will carefully explain to you the effects of hormone therapy, and if you still want to go through with it, they’ll help you embark upon the process,” writes the anonymous contributor.

READ THE STORY →

At Your Leisure:

Renowned novelist Toni Morrison.
John Mathew Smith / CC BY-SA 2.0

Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Alexandra Hong, Abby Nishiwaki, Alen Palic, and Howard Wang. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp