Thursday, February 10, 2022
Newsletter by Axidi Iglesias and Amy Ciceu

Lawsuit against Princeton Gerrymandering Project dismissed; senior named recipient of Gates Scholarship

Professor Sam Wang is the founder of the Princeton Gerrymandering Project.
Courtesy of Jason Rhode

Todays Briefing: 

PRINCETON GERRYMANDERING LAWSUIT DISMISSED: In a recently settled lawsuit filed by New Jersey Republicans, the Princeton Gerrymandering Project was listed as a defendant. Specifically, the lawsuit alleged that the congressional map passed in a 7–6 vote by the bipartisan New Jersey Redistricting Commission (NJRC) in December retains a partisan bias against Republicans. 

In the lawsuit, the Commission’s Republican members accused the NJRC’s tiebreaker vote John Wallace Jr., a former Associate Justice on the New Jersey Supreme Court, of being biased against Republicans and of receiving advice from the Princeton Gerrymandering Project to inform Wallace’s vote.

Founded and directed by neuroscience professor Samuel Wang, the Princeton Gerrymandering Project came under fire in the suit for allegedly breaching a promise of confidentiality by supplying Democrats with valuable information about parties’ proposed redistricting maps. Moreover, the suit alleges that the Princeton Gerrymandering Project is financed by private donors who have historically financed Democratic campaigns and candidates, another ostensible example of the group’s Democratic bias.

“The moment hyper-partisan, Democrat Professor Sam Wang and his Princeton Gerrymandering Project were hired as advisers by the Democrat thirteenth member, Republicans and, more importantly, the millions of New Jerseyans who wanted influence in the state’s federal elections, were unceremoniously boxed out of the decision-making process,” said Chair of the NJRC’s Republican members Douglas Steinhardt in a statement to POLITICO.

READ THE STORY →

SENIOR NAMED RECIPIENT OF GATES SCHOLARSHIP: Shaffin Siddiqui ’22, a senior in the history department, was named as a recipient of the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, a post-graduate scholarship awarded annually to outstanding students to attend Cambridge University. Siddiqui is one of 23 U.S. winners of the scholarship, and one of about 80 scholars chosen overall. 

At Cambridge, Siddiqui will pursue a Master of Philosophy degree in the history and philosophy of science and medicine. According to his bio on the Gates website, Siddiqui wrote that the history department allowed him to combine his “interests in the history of Islam and the practice of medicine” by researching “the history of medicine in the Muslim world.” 

READ THE STORY →

OPINION | When ‘home’ is thousands of miles away

Davis International Center
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

Assistant Opinion Editor Audrey Chau processes her homesickness as an international student on Princeton’s campus. Reflecting on the University’s negligence in distributing food to first-year international students who were unable to obtain COVID-19 vaccination before arriving to campus and the Davis International Center’s email encouraging international students to stay on campus over winter break in light of pandemic-related travel restrictions, Chau writes that her initial perspective of the University conceived of it as a place that could never truly be a home away from home. 

However, Chau writes that later on, she calibrated this unfavorable opinion; factoring into consideration the breadth of perspectives she has encountered and challenging, eye-opening courses she has taken, Chau now regards Princeton as a second home away from home.

READ THE OPINION →

SPONSORED:

SPORTS | Canadian women's hockey players advance to quarterfinals at Beijing Winter Olympics; men's hockey beats Yale

Thompson (left) and Fillier (right) have helped Canada to two wins over Team USA in the past six months.
Photo courtesy of Go Princeton Tigers.
  • WOMEN'S HOCKEY PLAYERS AT BEIJING WINTER OLYMPICS: Two Princetonians are making strides at the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics. Alumna and defender Claire Thompson ’20 and current sophomore forward Sarah Fillier have combined for six goals through four games for the undefeated Canadian women's hockey team at the Olympics. Both are competing at the Olympics for the first time.
  • MEN'S HOCKEY DEFEATS YALE: On Tuesday night at Hobey Baker Rink, the Princeton men’s hockey team (7–12–2, 6–7–1 ECAC Hockey) scored two goals over a span of 72 seconds in the second period and held on for a 2-1 win over the Yale Bulldogs (5–15–1, 4–10–1 ECAC). Senior goaltender Jeremie Forget stopped 22 of 23 shots, and the Tigers are now tied with St. Lawrence for seventh place in the ECAC. 

At Your Leisure:

Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Jason Luo and Tiffany Cao. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp