Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Professor Jacques Fresco dies at 93; University increases graduate student stipend and fellowship rates

Jacques Robert Fresco
Denise Applewhite / Office of Communications

Todays Briefing: 

Professor Jacques Fresco dies at 93 

On Dec. 5, 2021, Jacques Fresco, a long-time professor in the Department of Molecular Biology, died from complications due to heart disease at the age of 93. Having served as a member of the faculty from 1960 to 2013, Fresco was also a seminal figure in the study of nucleic acids and biochemistry. In 1960, he and a student “proposed the now generally accepted conformation of RNA,” according to Tomas Lindahl, a former researcher in Fresco’s lab who went on to win a Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 2015.

During his lifetime, Fresco published over 170 papers investigating topics as varied as the properties of nucleic acids to the genetic basis of sickle cell anemia and the mechanisms that cause certain DNA base pair mutations. Colleagues, friends, and family alike remember Fresco for his lively spirit and devout commitment to mentoring his students.

“He was really an engaging, warm, urbane, person who was always very happy to talk about his research, talk about current events, talk about literature. They don’t really make them as well-rounded as Jacques Fresco anymore,” said Senior Research Scholar and Professor in Molecular Biology Daniel Notterman.

READ THE STORY →

University to increase graduate student stipend and fellowship rates

According to a statement released by the Office of Communications on Jan. 25, the University will significantly increase graduate student stipend and fellowship rates during the upcoming 2022-23 academic year by an average of 25% to about $40,000 for doctoral candidates.

The increase was recommended by the Priorities Committee and approved by the Board of Trustees in a meeting that occurred last week. The University ensures that all graduate students committed to all years of regular program enrollment receive funding, which serves to cover tuition fees and provide students with a means to afford basic living expenses.

“This is of course great news as the cost of living in Princeton is very high, and the additional support will definitely help grad students cover our expenses,”  Tim Alberdingk Thijm GS said in an email to the ‘Prince.’ “I think the timing of the decision is also very notable: Columbia's student worker union just won a tentative agreement only two weeks ago and boosted their own stipends into the 40k range, plus all the other union activity at Harvard, NYU, and MIT in the last year.”

READ THE STORY →

Mark Schlissel ’79 fired as University of Michigan President

University of Michigan President Mark Schlissel ’79 was fired on Jan. 15 by the university’s Board of Regents after an investigation found that he had used his university email address to engage in an inappropriate relationship with a female subordinate. The board determined that, between 2019 and 2021, Schlissel had exchanged emails with the employee in a manner “inconsistent with promoting the dignity and reputation of the University of Michigan.” 

READ THE STORY →

Princeton Town Council meeting

During the Jan. 25 Princeton Town Council meeting, officials disbanded the Site Plan Review Advisory Board (SPRAB), a team of professional designers that reviews construction proposals to inform the decisions of the Planning Board, due to concerns about conflicts of interest. Also, members of the public brought up concerns related to Accessory Dwelling Units and an upcoming ordinance requiring business assessments, among other topics. 

READ THE STORY →

Three University Professors receive NEH grants

Three University professors have been awarded National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) research grants for their innovative humanities projects. Associate Professor of Spanish and Portuguese Christina Lee, Professor of History Ekaterina Pravilova, and Associate Professor of History Wendy Warren have received $480,000, $60,000, and $55,000, respectively, to pursue their projects and help broaden the scope of accessibility to important research in the humanities.

READ THE STORY →

From Opinion: Our commitment to in-person teaching

McCosh Health Center

In a guest contribution, Acting Dean of the Graduate School Cole M. Crittenden, Dean of the College Jill Dolan, and Dean of the Faculty Gene A. Jarrett address student concerns about in-person teaching amid the ongoing pandemic. They cite the significant educational benefits associated with in-person learning and emphasize that no Princeton University student that they are aware of has had to receive medical interventions for COVID-19. 

“In light of our vaccination and booster requirements, our masking requirements, and our current twice-weekly testing requirements for all students, we continue to believe that our mitigation efforts are sufficient to continue with the in-person learning that is so central to our mission,” they write, also noting that they expect the increase in campus COVID-19 infections due to the omicron variant to be temporary.

READ THE OPINION →

SPONSORED:
Fizzah Arshad / The Daily Princetonian

Opinion: “Princeton, it is time we face our Russophobia”

Head Opinion Editor Genrietta Churbanova details her lifelong experiences with Russophobia, a term describing attitudes and actions that embody a strong dislike toward Russian things. Churbanova argues that sentiments that foster hostility and suspicion toward Russians transformed from a personal problem to a wide-scale issue during the 2016 U.S. presidential election, when tales of Russian election meddling and Russian hackers were disseminated on a vast scale. Churbanova urges Princeton students to become cognizant of this largely overlooked prejudicial mindset and form of discrimination and to combat the misinformation and fear-mongering that abounds in everyday discourse.

“Ultimately, until our generation and the generations that follow divorce a Cold War mindset when it comes to Russia, Russophobia will continue to influence U.S. politics, media, pop culture, and academia in dangerous ways,” writes Churbanova.

READ THE OPINION →

At Your Leisure

Andrei Iosivas, center.
goprincetontigers.com

This Week in Photos: January 18 - 24

Wordle Hell
Inci Karaaslan / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Alexandra Hong, Catie Parker, and Xander Guidry. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp