Friday, December 3rd, 2021

Kang Lab reports new experimental therapy with potential to stop cancer spread

Image courtesy of Minhong Shen, Ph.D. and Yibin Kang, Ph.D.

Todays Briefing: 

CANCER RESEARCH: In the Nov. 29 issue of Nature Cancer, molecular biology professor Yibin Kang’s lab published two papers on an experimental treatment that may become the basis for future cancer therapy. In an email to The Daily Princetonian, Kang wrote, “My lab focuses on a central question in cancer treatment: why some patients develop metastatic disease, and why they are so difficult to treat?

Kang’s lab, in trying to identify genes that contribute to differences among cancer patients receiving the same treatment, found that the gene metadherin (MTDH) produces a protein, which helps to increase the spread of cancer. Their subsequent research has revealed that the compound C26A6 reduces the interaction between MTDH and the protein SND1, which helps MTDH keep a specific shape that is central to its function. The two new studies in Nature Cancer show that C26A6 can stop cancer spread in mice with the next step seeking to study its effect on humans. 

READ THE STORY →

NEW CENTER: The Program in American Studies is expanding with a major donation from Blair Effron ’84 and Cheryl Cohen Effron to fund the new Effron Center for the Study of America. In a press release, American Studies professor and future Effron Center leader Aisha M. Beliso-De Jesús stated that “the creation of this center strengthens Princeton’s voice in the global dialogue on the complex and diverse meanings of what it means to be America and American.” The gift is the first major public contribution to the University’s Venture Forward fundraising initiative, for which Blair Effron co-chairs the steering committee. 

READ THE STORY →

International Day of People with Disabilities

Harsimran Makkad / The Daily Princetonian
FROM THE PROSPECT: In acknowledgement of International Day of People with Disabilities, Associate News Editor Naomi Hess writes for the Prospect on her experiences as a disabled woman working to increase inclusivity and accessibility on Princeton’s campus. Hess commends work done by the University and the ‘Prince’ to increase accessibility on campus but states that “there’s still so much work to be done to make the campus better. Many physical infrastructure barriers remain, like unnavigable sidewalks and inaccessible dorms. Professors could be better about understanding medical needs, student groups and eating clubs could do more to include disabled students, and housing accommodations could always be improved.” 

READ THE STORY →

In Opinion

Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian

Princeton’s COVID-19 communications are dangerously ambiguous

Assistant Prospect Editor Molly Cutler argues that the recent announcements about Princeton’s updated Covid policies are phrased ambiguously, which she claims makes abiding by the regulations difficult. Cutler discusses the effects of the original email sent this past Saturday by Dean Dolan, the subsequent statements posted on the University’s Instagram story, and Vice President Calhoun’s follow-up email. Cutler writes, “for the sake of public health, the University must be precise in its communications, and this is only the latest example of its failure on that front — a failure which ultimately harms students.”

Gaslight, gatekeep: Creative Writing at Princeton

Columnist Brittani Telfair calls out the unwelcome nature of the University’s creative writing department and calls on the department to create more inclusive and welcoming spaces for all students. Telfair states “There is a veneer of “wokeness” and inclusivity: the proud proclamation that everyone is welcome in the space, no matter their background. Yet underneath this veneer, there is continued exclusivity. The Program in Creative Writing still requires applications for all of its classes, including introductory ones. Telfair also describes the Western and white focus of the department, and the ways that “creative writing at Princeton is pretentious and centered on ways of writing that descend from Western “high art” traditions construed as objectively superior to all other forms.”

At Your Leisure:

• PODCAST: Be sure to listen to the new episode of Daybreak, a daily news podcast, here
  • PUZZLES: All I want for Christmas is for you to try this Friday’s puzzle. Prepare the festivities and channel your inner Mariah Carey!
Poor Giuseppe
Hannah Mittleman / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Celia Buchband. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp