Wednesday, December 1, 2021

University clarifies post-Thanksgiving COVID-19 restrictions; President Eisgruber supports ongoing efforts to strengthen DACA

Chris Eisgruber ’83, Maria De La Cruz Perales Sanchez ’18, and Brad Smith ’81 speak to reporters outside of the U.S. Supreme Court.
Benjamin Ball / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

After a recent surge of COVID-19 cases on campus, on Nov. 30 Vice President for Campus Life Rochelle Calhoun sent out a University-wide email providing additional information about COVID-19 guidelines that students are expected to follow. The new policies arrive on the heels of a Nov. 27 University announcement about changes to campus-wide policies related to COVID-19.

The newly instituted COVID-19 guidelines affect social gatherings, eating clubs, and international travel. With the exception of classroom instruction and other events convened for academic purposes and overseen by an instructor, the University has prohibited “large-scale indoor undergraduate student social gatherings on or off campus that anticipate more than 75 people.” Any indoor undergraduate student organization gatherings anticipating between 20–75 members in attendance and outdoor gatherings of up to 100 people must pre-register online to acquire permission to convene.

Eating clubs have likewise adopted different approaches to ensuring student compliance with COVID-19 guidelines in light of the fact that many of the recent COVID-19 cases on campus could be traced to eating club social gatherings. All eating clubs have indefinitely postponed winter formal gatherings and nights out. Similarly, meals will now be exclusively members-only. 

“We understand your disappointment about these changes, especially when you’re looking forward to end-of-semester gatherings and celebrations. The University’s goal is to keep our campus healthy until this surge abates. At the same time, we want to support opportunities for students to gather safely,” wrote Calhoun in an email to the University community.

READ THE STORY →

According to a letter released by the Office of Communications on November 29th, Princeton University President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 and Microsoft President and University Trustee Brad Smith ’81 have filed a comment in support of the federal government’s latest proposal to preserve and strengthen the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) policy. In the letter, they encourage the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to use its authority to establish “fair” rules that uphold lasting protections for DREAMers. They also encourage Congress to establish a pathway to citizenship for DREAMers (Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors), who were brought to the United States as children. 

The comment arrives in light of the University’s successful Supreme Court case to preserve DACA. The case was filed jointly in November of 2017 by the University, Microsoft, and Maria Perales Sanchez ’18, in which they argued that DACA’s termination violated the Due Process Clause of the Fifth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and the Administrative Procedure Act. 

“Legislative action is the only way to ensure the long-term protection that DREAMers deserve and require; enacting it would be just, humane, and beneficial to the national interest,” Eisgruber and Smith wrote.

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED AD

Opinion: Sorry, Witherspoon, you need to go

The statue of John Witherspoon standing outside of the East Pyne Building.
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian
In an op-ed, Contributing Columnist Windsor Nguyễn responds to Abigail Rabieh’s piece defending the idea that “statues preserve memory.” According to Nguyễn, statues memorializing contentious historical figures like John Witherspoon — who infamously voted against the abolition of slavery and maintained slaves — should not bask out in public spaces. 

“Although statues preserve memory, they inherently glorify it as well. Memories can be preserved in so many ways; if shady statues of historical figures must exist for the sake of reflection, then they should be in museums rather than on an open campus,” argues Nguyễn.

READ THE COLUMN

At Your Leisure

Emma Treadway, the 145th Editor-in-Chief of The Daily Princetonian
Harsimran Makkad / The Daily Princetonian
  • THE PROSPECT:  As her term as editor-in-chief of the ‘Prince’ approaches its end, Emma Treadway reflects on how she has been challenged — both physically and mentally — over the course of her years spent at Princeton and during her tenure leading the ‘Prince.’ She emphasizes how learning to occupy space has not only aided her personal growth but has also made her a better leader
  • FEATURES: Situated at the corner of Witherspoon and Green Street, the historic Paul Robeson House has perennially been a vital source of culture and refuge for Princeton’s African American community. Notable athlete, artist, performer, and activist Paul Robeson was born in the house before it became a rooming house for the first Black students admitted to the University. Now, the House is undergoing preservation efforts to commemorate the legacy of Robeson and all those who lived, shopped, and congregated at the property at 110 Witherspoon Street throughout its various iterations.
  • THE HIGHLIGHTS: In the latest episode of Princeton Insights The Highlights, Yeon Soon Shin and Rolando Masís-Obando discuss their paths to graduate work in psychology, their research on how environmental context influences memory, and the virtual reality environment they devised to test out their theories.
  • DAYBREAK: Be sure to listen to the new episode of Daybreak, a daily news podcast from the ‘Prince.’ 
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Cecilia Zubler. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp