November 12, 2021

Welcome back to the fifth installment of Intersections.

As we rapidly approach the end of the semester, I find myself growing increasingly sentimental in my last fall as a Princeton student. There is something so precious — dare I say idyllic — about the undergraduate experience. I think about how I’ll never again have the opportunity to live in such close proximity to my dearest friends, tasked with discovering new things together in a rich and vibrant community. At this point in our lives, no one expects us to be experts in anything, so we are free to rove wildly and explore a wide range of disciplines. In turn, this noncommittal approach to learning also means that we are allowed to fail — an experience which, as one student notes, should be supported more readily by the university.

José Pablo Fernández García / The Daily Princetonian
In a conversation with “Minari” director Lee Isaac Chung, the novelist Viet Thanh Nguyen noted that “it’s one thing to deal with success — that’s kind of challenging — but I think it’s a lot harder to deal with failure, and overcoming failure, it builds your character.” When I reflect on my undergraduate experiences, I realize that the times I’ve grown the most are the moments when I failed and then found a way to rebound, buoyed by generous words of encouragement from my professors. Failure is often more difficult to grapple with than success — we are often more fragile than we let on — but if we learn how to embrace failure and carve out a little time and space for reflection, failure can be a source of great creativity.

“Most of the time, art is about failure,” Nguyen said. “It’s about learning from mistakes, and also learning how to stand by yourself, outside the world of approbation and awards and money.” The final weeks of the fall semester, with their scores of essays and examinations, may create conditions in which failure seems unacceptable. However, rather than feeling discontented, I hope that students are able to find in their failure an opportunity to turn inward and churn out something beautiful instead.

Cameron (Cammie) Lee ’22
Co-Head Editor of The Prospect
cameronl@princeton.edu
Subscribe to Intersections

What’s the Conversation

• In honor of National First-Generation Day, which was November 8, The Prospect highlighted powerful reflections from the Princeton community about what it means to be an FLI student. Submissions were compiled by Head Prospect Editor Auhjanae McGee.
  • Associate Editor Aster Zhang reflects on why they enjoy listening to foreign music even though they cannot understand the lyrics, noting that there is freedom in not being boxed into a song’s narrative.
Courtesy of Windsor Nguyễn
  • In honor of the semesterly release of course offerings by the Office of the Registrar, Associate Editor José Pablo Fernández García captures the excitement and possibility that a new slate of courses presents.
Inci Karaaslan / The Daily Princetonian
  • Senior writer Aditi Desai reviews Netflix’s new series “The Chair,” featuring Sandra Oh, praising the show for realistically conveying the experiences of women of color in elite academic spaces from her perspective as a woman of color at Princeton.
  • As live performances and arch sings return to campus, Senior Writer Cathleen Weng speaks to members of Princeton’s a cappella groups. 
Sydney Eck / The Daily Princetonian
  • For Tiger Town Treats, a recurring food review series at The Prospect, Senior Writer Sydney Eck compares gluten-free desserts from Bread Boutique, Chez Alice, House of Cupcakes, Jammin’ Crepes, Milk & Cookies, Murray Dodge, Sakrid, and Small World.
  • Associate Editor Aster Zhang reviews a performance by pianist Conrad Tao and tap dancer Caleb Teicher, which combined music by Bach, Brahms, Gershwin, among others, with live tap dancing.
  • Contributing Writer Daniel Viorica reflects on the importance of languages in the preservation of culture within his family, encouraging students to push through the difficulties of language learning in pursuit of its long-term rewards.
Sydney Peng / The Daily Princetonian
  • The Menstrual Products Task Force, a USG Task Force which aims to make menstrual products more accessible across campus, evaluates seven different kinds of menstrual products for their sustainability. In their evaluation, they consider price, accessibility, environmental impact, and include general reviews regarding comfort.
  • Contributing writer Olivia Kasule examines the anti-capitalist messaging of the recent hit “Squid Game“ through its humanizing character work and dramatic visuals.

What to Do This Weekend

• On Friday, Nov. 12, or Saturday, Nov. 13, at 10 p.m., students can view Wes Anderson’s newest film “The French Dispatch” for free at the Garden Theatre through USG Movies. Register for the Friday showing here and the Saturday showing here, and read our review of the movie here.
  • On Friday, Nov. 12, at 9 p.m. and Saturday, Nov. 13, at 5 p.m. and 9 p.m., Princeton University Ballet presents “Abstraction,” a collaboration with the Princeton University Art Museum. Students can get tickets for free through Passport for the Arts.
  • This weekend, Princeton Pianists Ensemble presents “Con Fuoco,” live at McAlpin Hall, which is located in Woolworth Music Building. The Friday and Saturday shows are at 8 p.m., and the Sunday show is at 3 p.m. Students can get tickets for free through Passport for the Arts.
  • On Sunday, Nov. 14, at 7 p.m., Princeton Camerata presents “Reprise,” with works by Mikhail Glinka, Gabriel Fauré, and Alberto Ginastera. The program also features “Remove Tough Stains,” an original composition by Emily Liushen ’22, as well as Karina Wugong ’24 on the piano for Sergei Rachmaninoff’s “Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor.” Students can get tickets for free through Passport to the Arts.
  • This Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m., watch “Early Decision” by Adam Gwon and “Late Bloomer” by Jaime Lozano and Georgie Gastilla at the McCarter Theatre. According to the McCarter Theatre website, the new musicals “give voice to the experiences of first-generation Princeton students from immigrant families.”

The Prospect Curio Cabinet

• After months since its initial announcement, Red (Taylor's Version) was finally released today. Part of Taylor Swift's effort to regain ownership over her earlier albums, the album features 30 rerecordings and new releases, including the much anticipated 10 minute version of "All Too Well." You can rest assured that the Swifties of the ‘Prince’ will spend the weekend listening to all 2+ hours of this release — and crying along with it.
  • Have a listen to Maurice Duruflé’s “Requiem,” a piece of stunning neo-Romantic beauty. The piece will be performed by Princeton’s Glee Club, conducted by Mariana Corichi Gomez ’21 with organist Eric Plutz, on Monday, Nov. 22, at 7:30 PM in the Princeton University Chapel.
  • On Nov. 10, the indie dream-pop band Beach House released the first four songs of their new album, “Once Twice Melody.” The double album includes 18 songs, and will be released in 4 Chapters over the next 4 months. “ONCE TWICE MELODY is the culmination of 3 long years of work and we can’t wait to share it with you,” the band wrote in an Instagram caption.
  • Watch the music video for Mitski’s new single, “The Only Heartbreaker,” which premiered on Nov. 9, 2021. The song’s release is in anticipation of the artist’s new album “Laurel Hell,” which will be released on February 4, 2022. “I needed love songs about real relationships that are not power struggles to be won or lost,” said Mitski in a recent statement about the album.
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Catie Parker.
Homepage
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently. 

Our mailing address is: 
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ  08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540-5116 · USA