Monday, November 8, 2021

Dartmouth dominates Princeton 31–7, dealing significant blow to Tigers’ Ivy title hopes

The Tigers prepare to take the field for the opening kickoff.
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

SPORTS: Dartmouth Big Green beat the Princeton Tigers 31–7 on Saturday, in a crushing loss that will have a significant impact on the team’s Ivy League title aspirations. Coming into the game, the Tigers were undefeated and Dartmouth had six wins and a loss. With this game, the Tigers drop to seven wins and a loss, with four of those being Ivy league wins, and one Ivy league loss. The path to an outright Ivy League title suddenly looks grim, as one-loss Dartmouth faces two weaker opponents in Brown and Cornell to close out the season, while the Tigers will face Yale at home next week. 

READ THE STORY →

PLASTIC BAN: As of Nov. 4, all New Jersey restaurants and food service establishments are banned from providing single-use plastic straws unless specifically requested by customers, according to legislation passed by Gov. Phil Murphy and other lawmakers last year. The ban will be complemented by a ban on “carryout plastic bags” which will come into effect May 2022. 

On the use of single-use plastics, Marissa Bornn ’25, a member of the Princeton Conservation Society, told The Daily Princetonian “Single-use plastic straws are one of the most publicly recognized ocean pollutants, causing massive numbers of sea turtle deaths. Even though straws don’t account for the largest proportion of plastic pollution, they represent a proportion that can easily be mitigated.” 

READ THE STORY →

FREE SPEECH: Many prominent Princeton professors have spoken out regarding a Florida state ban on professors providing expert testimony, in a legal case aimed at overturning new laws that restrict statewide voting rights.  Professors from a range of departments, including politics professor Robert George and African American studies professor Imani Perry spoke out in support of the University of Florida (UF) faculty members’ freedom of speech. The ban is undergoing a lengthy legal challenge and has been repealed and reinstated multiple times.

UF officials have told at least four professors that as university employees, they are prohibited from assisting in lawsuits “adverse to U.F.’s interests.” The lawsuit in question challenges a new law passed under Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis that voting rights advocates say discriminates against minorities.

READ THE STORY →

IAS NEWS: On Nov. 1, the Institute for Advanced Study announced that it has chosen David Nirenberg GS ’92 as its 10th director. Nirenberg was formerly the founding director of the Neubauer Collegium for Culture and Society, Dean of the Social Sciences, and Executive Vice Provost at the University of Chicago. “To be invited to join this community of brilliant scholars, and this institution that has contributed so much to humanity, is simply thrilling,” Nirenberg wrote in an email to The Daily Princetonian.

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED AD

In Opinion

Courtesy of Anna Hiltner ’23

Why Princeton must include Divest Princeton members in fossil fuel divestment deliberations

Columnist Hannah Reynolds calls for the University to include members of Divest Princeton on its fossil fuel divestment deliberation committee. Reynolds states, “Princeton should include the voices of those who will be most impacted by climate change and those who have spent years organizing for divestment in the conversations about Princeton’s endowment.”

‘Should Princeton exist?’ is the wrong question

Columnist Ava Milberg argues that working towards making Princeton more just and equitable is more productive than questioning whether Princeton should exist at all. Milberg says, “by asking if Princeton should exist, we miss the mark, promoting a model of eradicating racist institutions rather than encouraging reflection and reform within these institutions so we can promote anti-racist ideologies.”

Celebrating National First-Generation Day

Courtesy of Windsor Nguyễn ’25
In honor of the annual National First-Generation College Celebration, or National First-Gen Day, read submitted stories from Princeton’s first-generation and/or low-income (FLI) community, compiled by The Prospect. These submissions, from current students, highlight the triumphs and challenges of being a FLI student, and the institutional roadblocks faced by many in the FLI community. 

At your leisure

Inci Karaaslan / The Daily Princetonian

Lilly and Andy Precept Soundtrack
Gaea Lawton / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Zoey Nell. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp