Wednesday, November 3, 2021

PAW declares editorial independence; University experiences brief uptick, then decline in post-fall break COVID-19 cases

Bhoomika Chowdhary / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s Briefing:

After a brief uptick in COVID-19 cases following fall break, positive COVID-19 cases dropped to zero, with a 0.13% COVID-19 positivity rate recorded on the University's dashboard during the week ending on Oct. 29. ​​Over the days immediately following the end of fall break, a total of seven cases were reported among the undergraduate student body: three on Oct. 25 and four on Oct. 26. The University is currently deliberating the prospect of lifting the indoor mask mandate for vaccinated students.

“The number of cases among students who traveled during fall break has been in line with what we anticipated following off-campus travel,” wrote Deputy University Spokesperson Michael Hotchkiss in an email to The Daily Princetonian.

READ THE STORY →

The University will continue offering COVID-19 booster shots at the vaccination clinics hosted in Jadwin Gym from Nov. 3 to Dec. 16 twice weekly. The booster shots will be available to those who qualify under the expanded eligibility criteria announced by the CDC on Oct. 21, including individuals above the age of 65, or above the age of 18 and live in long-term care, have underlying medical conditions, or work or live in high-risk (including educational) settings.

On Wednesdays, the clinic will be administering Pfizer booster shots; on Thursdays, eligible individuals can receive Moderna boosters. The vaccination clinics are open to members of the University as well as the public.

READ THE STORY →

On Oct. 18, Chair of the Princeton Alumni Weekly (PAW) board Marc Fisher ’80 announced in a letter published in the PAW magazine that the publication will maintain its editorial independence in spite of the fact that the University will now contribute up to 100 percent of the magazine’s budget, among other changes.

The announcement arrives months after a previous letter that Fisher published in PAW’s July issue. The preceding letter informed readers that the University planned to adopt categorical financial responsibility for the magazine without guaranteeing that the magazine would secure its independence. The terms of PAW’s transformed relationship with the University are reflected in a new memorandum co-written by President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 and Fisher on behalf of the PAW board.

“We have all seen the struggles that all print publications have faced in recent years, and I'm sure PAW is no exception. I'm glad that PAW will still be able to operate and provide objective content to current and future alumni,” wrote Vignesh Panchanatham ’22, who currently writes for the PAW, in an email to the ‘Prince.’

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED AD

Opinion: Princeton needs to make more room for failure

Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

In an op-ed, Contributing Columnist Audrey Chau argues that “Princeton students, who are often defined by their successes, need to fail early and fail often.” Her argument is informed by President Christopher Eisgruber’s ’83 interview with The Atlantic, in which he stated that “The idea of a place like Princeton is that you can identify young people who have extraordinary talent.” Chau writes that the expectation of exceptionality places significant pressure on students to relentlessly strive toward extraordinariness, perpetuating a culture that sows fear and dissuades students from venturing outside of their comfort zones.

At Your Leisure

The men's cross country team poses after being crowned Ivy League Cross Country Champion for the 22nd time in program history.
GoPrincetonTigers.com

This Week in Photos

Explore this week in photos as students and families celebrated both Princetoween and Halloween. Take a glimpse at tourists wandering through leaf-strewn streets, Forbes's hallowed chocolate fountain, and other stunning photographs captured by The Daily Princetonian's student photographers.

Tiger Q | What is your favorite dining hall?

VIDEO: The Daily Princetonian explores students’ opinions of their favorite campus dining halls, a key component of student life.
Time Flies
Elizabeth Medina / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Cecilia Zubler. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp