Friday, November 19th, 2021

Life after accusation: Inside Princeton’s Honor Code

Morrison Hall
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s Briefing

“How do you literally sit here and defend your place at the University, when you know we didn’t do anything wrong — at three in the morning?” 

Every year, dozens of students come before the Honor Committee. In interviews with eight of the accused, we chronicle a story of spiraling mental health, institutionalized alienation, and renewed hopes for reform. During a semester of virtual learning, accused students faced virtual hearings without the support systems of a typical year and with the heightened pressure of the pandemic. Their stories represent a side of Princeton academics few on campus face and fewer still discuss — read their stories here.

READ THE STORY →

DEI REPORT: In response to an open letter released in July 2020, the University released its first ever Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Annual Report. This report details how the University has worked towards anti-racism and systemic change in the last year. While the report does describe many projects such as the hiring of a chaired professor in Indigenous Studies, some students raised concerns about the lack of information on topics such as disability and accessibility

READ THE STORY →

Q&A: Sarah McBride, a Delaware State Senator, addressed members of the University community on Wednesday, Nov. 17 in a virtual event coordinated by the School of Public and International Affairs. The Daily Princetonian sat down with McBride to discuss her political trajectory, her advice to student activists, and her daily responsibilities as a State Senator. In 2012, McBride gained international recognition when she came out as transgender at American University, where she served as student body president. In November 2020, McBride became the highest-ranking transgender elected official in U.S. history when she was elected State Senator for Delaware’s 11th District.

McBride stated, “Whether we’re talking about campuses, local government, or state government, I think what connects all of them is that they can be laboratories for bold ideas.”

READ THE STORY →

“POSE” STAR INTERVIEW: In observance of Trans Week of Remembrance, students, faculty, and community members welcomed TV star Dominique Jackson to speak on her experiences as a Trans woman and her role as Elektra Abundance Evangelista on the Netflix show “Pose.” On her “Pose” character, Jackson said “[Elektra] was the woman that said ‘By all means necessary, I will survive, and I will do it fabulously.’”

READ THE STORY →

Read more from News:
SPONSORED AD

Opinion: The Trustees’s failure to divest hurts Princeton, too

Divestment rally
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian 
The Daily Princetonian Editorial Board reflects on how little progress has been made toward the University’s divestment from fossil fuels companies since 80 percent of the student body supported this initiative last year. The Board points out how the actions of these fossil fuel companies do not align with the University’s values, writing, “We cannot claim to serve the nation and humanity if we profit off of companies while disregarding their harmful impacts on society. We cannot claim to prioritize addressing systemic racism when those impacts disproportionately harm communities of color.” While recognizing and appreciating faculty expertise, the Board stresses the importance of student voices as the University continues the divestment process.

More from Opinion:

HUMAN RIGHTS: Guest Contributor Eric Periman argues that the Princeton community has an obligation to condemn the state of Israel’s designation of six Palestinian human rights groups as terrorist organizations. With this designation, Periman explains that “Israeli officials [have] full power under the 2016 Antiterrorism Law to shut down all operations of each targeted group.” Periman states that these human rights groups have played an important role in documenting and highlighting human rights abuses committed in Palestine. Reflecting on the Princeton community, Periman concludes, “Each of us [ … ] has an obligation to condemn this authoritarian action taken by the Israeli government [ … ] As one of the leading institutions of higher education in the world, we can no longer bury our heads in the sand when it comes to defending the basic human right to free speech.” 

From Prospect:

Clockwise from top left: Allie Mangel ’22, Karina Wugang ’24, Adrian Rogers ’23, and Emily Liushen ’22, surrounded by members of Princeton Camerata
Courtesy of Allie Mangel ’22

At Your Leisure:

Pop Tart Pop Art
Sydney Peng / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Liana Slomka and Auhjanae McGee. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp