Thursday, November 18, 2021

Princeton continues push to net-zero campus emissions by 2046

"Off-shore Wind Farm Turbine" by Phil Hollman / CC BY 2.0

Todays Briefing: 

NET-ZERO CARBON: As the University oversees several broad construction projects, it is angling to fulfill its net-zero carbon targets by phasing out its current energy systems and supplanting them with novel technologies, including electric heat pumps, thermal storage, and geo-exchange. According to a University press release, it will become one of the first universities to pursue such sprawling energy system transformations.

“When you look at universities in the U.S, I see institutions like Princeton providing leadership and vision to a better environmental future,” said Robert Thornton, the President and CEO of the International District Energy Association (IDEA).

READ THE STORY →

CHINA INITIATIVE: In an open letter sent on Oct. 18, 2021 to the U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland, 198 Princeton faculty members demanded a stop to the United States Department of Justice’s (DOJ) China Initiative. This initiative was formed under the Trump Administration to address the Chinese government's stealing of American intellectual property. Moreover, it specifically targets individuals at universities in the United States who are believed to be engaging in espionage for the Chinese government.

READ THE STORY →
VETERAN'S DAY: On Nov. 11, University staff, the University Office of Religious Life (ORL), the Princeton Student Veterans Organization, and other local schools joined the local veteran’s association in a service to honor veterans. The service included speeches from Princeton Mayor Mark Freda and Kaller Roemer ’23, who is president of the Student Veterans Association and the Ivy League Veterans Council. Roemer stated that the event “shows the continued respect and commitment to our community,” being a vital step “to spread awareness of both the issues veterans face and, when given a shot, the potential to succeed in an environment like Princeton.”

Opinion:

Some of us might recall being intrigued by the recent The Atlantic article titled “Should Princeton Exist?” This article sought to draw readers in with its simple, yet morally complex title. However, as described by Opinion writer Ashley Olenkiewicz, such short and slogan-like phrases can reduce movements and sentiments, resulting in polarized debate. Instead of a “complete departure from slogans,” Olenkiewicz suggests focusing on “cautiously crafting slogans and ensuring that the intended message is received by audiences.” 

Sports:

The Tigers celebrate a win against Yale
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian

Remembering Artie Klein ’59:

Arthur Klein
Courtesy of Megan Klein
In honor of World Pancreatic Cancer Day, guest contributor Megan Klein remembers her grandfather, Artie Klein, and recounts both his glory days as a Princeton athlete and his time grappling with cancer. In a basketball game against Dartmouth in 1957, Artie Klein threw a 40-foot, over-the-shoulder blind hook shot with one second left in overtime and won the game with his buzzer beater. Princeton then placed first in the Ivy League. Klein describes her grandfather’s humble nature, which carried him from Princeton to the Army Reserves to getting an MBA from Columbia. After learning of his diagnosis, Klein writes, “Just how he never boasted of his accomplishments, Grandpa never complained much either. [ … ] I didn’t know the excruciating pain he was in. All he did was hunch over a bit and smile.” 

At Your Leisure:

Anti
Payton Croskey / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Anna Eaton. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp