Thursday, Nov. 11, 2021

New research on fluid movement; Toni Morrison exhibit to open spring 2023

Professor Datta is located sixth from the right, and Christopher Browne is located fourth from the right.
Courtesy of the Princeton University Datta Lab 

Todays Briefing: 

RESEARCH: In a new study, chemical and biological engineering professor Sujit Datta and fifth-year graduate student Christopher Browne discovered why certain fluids — namely, polymer solutions that consist of very large molecules — increase in flow resistance when migrating under pressure through various porous mediums, a question that has perplexed researchers for more than half a century.

To shine a light on the mechanisms at work, they devised a method of visualizing the movement of polymer solutions as they passed through porous substances. The model they created involved rocks, transparent polymer solutions, and fluorescent dyes, among other elements that helped them visualize the turbulence of the polymer solution-porous substance interactions.

“The new understanding of how and when these chaotic flows arise in porous media provided by our work can thus help to inform the design of fluids and selection of operating conditions for groundwater remediation processes,” said Datta in an interview with the ‘Prince.’

READ THE STORY →

NEW EXHIBIT: Toni Morrison, a former Robert F. Goheen Professor in the Humanities who passed away in 2019, will be honored through an exhibition by the Princeton University Library. The exhibition, titled “Sites of Memory: The Archival World of Toni Morrison,” will open in spring 2023.

In the library’s statement about the exhibition, Assistant Professor of African American Studies and English Autumn Womack wrote, “this exhibit follows the route mapped by the collection itself as it illuminates previously unknown aspects of Morrison’s life and practice, and reveals new ways of understanding seemingly familiar texts and events.”

The exhibit will work with the McCarter Theatre to bring three visiting artists to campus and will have undergraduate and graduate courses to implement the exhibit into the curriculum.

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED AD

Opinion: Life after COVID-19

Opinion Contributor Professor Melissa Reynolds writes about how a research trip to England, where she describes, “life was business as usual,” illuminated questions about what life should look like after COVID-19. Reynolds discusses the historical precedence of the Black Death and how a period of change followed the pandemic, including two movements that fought against church hierarchy and feudal bondage.

Reynolds writes, “By making this historical analogy, I do not mean to imply that change or progress is inevitable, that we can rest easy and stop agitating for the change we want to see. History is not nearly so comforting as that. I only mean to suggest that we continue to think of the pandemic as an event from which to depart rather than as an event after which to return.”

READ THE COLUMN 

In Sports:

Princeton’s game against Dartmouth.
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian

At Your Leisure:

Spell-check
Sydney Peng / The Daily Princetonian
THE PROSPECT: Contributing writer Olivia Kasule breaks down the captivating visuals and intriguing narratives present in the Korean drama “Squid Game,” which managed to secure the No. 1 spot on Netflix’s Top 10 List for 29 days. Kasule examines how Squid Game’s investment in character development enables audiences to empathize with characters and reflect on issues such as class stratification.

PODCAST: Be sure to listen to a new episode of Daybreak, a daily news podcast from the ‘Prince’, here
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Isabel Rodrigues. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp