Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Princeton meteorologist Syukuro Manabe wins 2021 Nobel Prize in Physics

Princeton University researcher and 2021 Nobel laureate in physics Syukuro Manabe at his home in Princeton the morning of the Nobel Prize announcement.
Denise Applewhite / Office of Communications
Todays Briefing: 

On Tuesday, Oct. 5, Princeton senior meteorologist Syukuro “Suki” Manabe was jointly awarded the 2021 Nobel Prize in Physics alongside Klaus Hasselmann, an oceanographer at the Max Planck Institute for Meteorology, “for the physical modelling of Earth’s climate, quantifying variability and reliably predicting global warming.” Manabe’s work is widely considered to be foundational to understanding climate change.

Manabe joins 21 University faculty and alumni who have been awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics. In 1963, he became one of the founding scientists of the Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory (GFDL), a joint endeavor by the University and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). Manabe has been a member of Princeton’s faculty since 1968. 

During an afternoon press conference in Richardson Hall convened by the University to celebrate Manabe’s remarkable achievements, Manabe expressed his gratitude to the Royal Swedish Academy of Science for their generosity in awarding him the Nobel Prize. 

“That insatiable curiosity, sense of wonder, along with the ability to boil any topic into its essence, and incredible persistence and hard work — those are some of Suki’s characteristics that have guided him over the years,” said Senior Scientist at the GFDL Thomas Delworth at the press conference, describing Manabe’s admirable traits that have been key to both his character and success.

READ THE STORY →

From The Prospect

View at the intersection of a busy street in New York City.
Rebecca Cao / The Daily Princetonian

Senior Writer Aditi Desai and Staff Writer Rebecca Cao of The Prospect write about their memorable time in the vibrant SoHo neighborhood of NYC, encouraging readers to consider visiting the area during the upcoming fall break. Desai and Cao reminisce about the deliciously fluffy pancakes they ate at Flipper’s, the eclectic selection of books available at the independent bookstore McNally Jackson Books, and the Instagrammable Museum of Ice Cream — replete with all flavors of both ice cream iconography and ice cream itself.

READ THE STORY →

At Your Leisure

• DAYBREAK: Tune in to the latest episodes from Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian's daily news podcast covering significant global and University-related news developments.
Small Talk
Abigail Litvak / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Cecilia Zubler. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp