Wednesday, October 13, 2021

USG Senate votes to create Lawnparties Review Committee; classics professor's lawsuit dismissed

The statue of John Witherspoon outside of East Pyne.
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

USG: At the weekly Undergraduate Student Government (USG) meeting, the USG Senate voted to create a Lawnparties Review Committee “to gather information, deliberate internally, report to the Senate, and develop recommendations around relevant issues within its scope,” according to the committee proposal.

The proposal cited USG’s decision to change their headliner act from LANY to A$AP Ferg as a key reason for the establishment of the new committee.

In other USG-related developments, Vice President for Campus Life Rochelle Calhoun also attended the USG meeting to stage a Q&A session with students in attendance, discussing topics such as international travel restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, disciplinary actions related to Social Contract violations from last semester, progress on anti-racism initiatives, and the University’s plans on avoiding student mental health crises.

READ THE STORY →

KATZ LAWSUIT: In February of this year, classics professor Joshua Katz filed a lawsuit alleging “viewpoint discrimination” against the American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS), a federation of 75 scholarly organizations. Katz claimed the society had retracted his invitation to serve as one of the society’s representatives due to controversy regarding a column the professor wrote in July 2020.

However, on Oct. 5, Katz’s lawsuit was dismissed because it fell short of satisfying the required standards for jurisdiction in federal court in New Jersey. The decision leaves the door open for Katz to refile his lawsuit against the ACLS in New York, where the society is based.

Katz sought monetary compensation for the purported damages the ACLS caused him, including claims that the decision to retract his invitation damaged his reputation and compromised his “potential for future advancement.”

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED AD
The Committee on Honorary Degrees invites suggestions of candidates for honorary degrees to be awarded at Commencement 2023.

In making recommendations to the Board of Trustees, the committee seeks to propose a group of candidates who represent a range of backgrounds and professional accomplishments. Additionally, each year one of the recipients is an emeritus member of the Princeton faculty who has been retired for at least 5 years. Your nominations for honorary degree recipients, including faculty emeriti candidates, are welcome.

For more information and to submit a nomination, please visit the honorary degrees website:  https://president.princeton.edu/vice-president-and-secretary/honorary-degrees.

Nominations for Commencement 2023 must be submitted by Friday, November 5, 2021.
McCosh Hall

In Opinion

In The Prospect

A black squirrel scurrying near a tree.
Guanyi Cao / The Daily Princetonian

Tiger Q: Does Princeton have school spirit?

As the homecoming football game against Harvard on Oct. 23 approaches, The Daily Princetonian took to campus to explore student perspectives on school spirit, the role of athletics in student culture, and our mascot — the tiger.

At Your Leisure

• SATIRE: The Band recommends placing orders as soon as possible, as requests for popular campus figures like That Guy Who Has Been Hacking Up a Lung in The Back of Your 200-Person Lecture and Any Res College Staff Who Still Use The Phrase “Unprecedented Times” may fill up quickly.
  • SATIRE: Last week, senior meteorologist Dr. Syukuro Manabe was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics for his research on climate change. The University has formed a committee, a subcommittee, and a working group that will take Manabe’s work into consideration in deciding whether to make a divestment plan.
  • PODCAST: Check out the latest episode of Daybreak!
Drained Social Battery
Gaea Lawton / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Cecilia Zubler. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp