Monday, October 11, 2021

Maria Ressa ’86 awarded Nobel Peace Prize; 
USG announces 2025 Class Council election results

Todays Briefing: 

NOBEL PEACE PRIZE: On Friday, Maria Ressa ’86, former Ferris Professor of Journalism and a champion of free press in the Phillipines, was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize alongside Russian journalist Dmitry Muratov. 

Ressa has faced great political persecution for her work, including work produced by Rappler, an investigative news site that Ressa co-founded which has exposed abuses of power committed by the Rodrigo Duterte regime.  

Ressa’s Nobel Peace Prize marks the third Nobel to be awarded to a Princeton affiliate in 2021. 

READ THE STORY →

STUDENT NEWS:  Election results for the 2025 Class Council were released Friday, announcing the five new members for the Class Council: Kimberly Cross ’25, Gil Joseph ’25, Diya Kraybill ’25, Stephen Padlo ’25, and Ben Wachspress ’25. This election saw a 60 percent voter turnout, a six percent decrease from last year’s first-year council elections. 

READ THE STORY →

GENIUS GRANT: Princeton Professor Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor of the African American Studies Department was awarded a 2021 MacArthur Fellowship, colloquially known as the genius grant, last week for analyzing the political and economic forces underlying racial inequality and the role of social movements in transforming society. 

The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation awards the fellowship to 25 American scholars, artists, and scientists. From the fellowship, Taylor will receive $625,000 in grants over five years.

READ THE STORY →

CANNABIS TASK FORCE: In its Thursday meeting, the Princeton Town Cannabis Task Force pulled the Princeton Shopping Center from consideration as a potential dispensary zone because the owner was not interested in leasing to a dispensary. In addition, proximity to schools and the potential medical licenses for cannabis were discussed. 

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED AD
The Committee on Honorary Degrees invites suggestions of candidates for honorary degrees to be awarded at Commencement 2023.

In making recommendations to the Board of Trustees, the committee seeks to propose a group of candidates who represent a range of backgrounds and professional accomplishments. Additionally, each year one of the recipients is an emeritus member of the Princeton faculty who has been retired for at least 5 years. Your nominations for honorary degree recipients, including faculty emeriti candidates, are welcome.

For more information and to submit a nomination, please visit the honorary degrees website:  https://president.princeton.edu/vice-president-and-secretary/honorary-degrees.

Nominations for Commencement 2023 must be submitted by Friday, November 5, 2021.

National Coming Out Day

José Pablo Fernández García / The Daily Princetonian

For all the queer tigers, but especially for myself

Happy National Coming Out Day! In recognition of the day, read this emotional essay from Associate Prospect editor José Pablo Fernández García, which reflects on his coming out journey and the struggle to live unabashedly on National Coming Out Day.

READ THE ESSAY 
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
In honor of National First-Generation College Students Day, The Prospect is soliciting reflections from Princeton’s first-generation, low-income (FLI) community about their journeys to, through, and beyond Princeton. If you would like to share a submission (we are asking for 100-250 words, though if you feel compelled to write more, please let us know), please do so with this Google form by Oct. 30 at 11:59 p.m. There is also an option to submit photos, if you’d like. If you have any questions, please reach out to The Prospect editors at . We look forward to reading your submissions!
In Opinion

At your leisure

No. 49 Uche Ndukwe and others on Princeton’s defense were key to the team’s late comeback against Monmouth.
Courtesy of @princetonftbl/Twitter
Jumping the Shark
Hanna Mittleman / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Juliet Sturge. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp