Thursday, September 30, 2021

Tunde Oyeneyin speaks about career changes and grief; GSRC officially opens

Tunde Oyeneyin, Theresa S. Thames, and Jessica M. Ward 
Courtesy of Grace Zhuang ’23 

Todays Briefing: 

SPEAKER EVENT: Peloton instructor and founder of the SPEAK movement, Tunde Oyeneyin, spoke Tuesday about “her experiences making difficult life choices, dealing with grief, and finding strength and community.” Her movement “seeks to spotlight people who have thrived in the face of strife.” Oyeneyin discussed her career change from makeup artist to spin instructor and her experience losing three immediate family members before the age of 30. 

READ THE STORY →

GSRC NOW OPEN: On Monday, the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center (GSRC) officially opened, marking both the physical and ideological unification of what were formerly the Women*s and LGBT Centers. The GSRC’s opening arrives amid calls from the Princeton Pride Alliance to allocate a greater number of resources to promoting the mental health and wellbeing of trans, queer, and femme students. One of the center’s main priorities includes the creation of a co-curricular experience informed by the resources at the GRSC in cooperation with other departments.

“We’re still acclimating as ’25s, so this is a really conducive environment for doing just that — getting to meet people and then making that connection,” said Rodolfo Pineda ’25 with respect to the GSRC serving as an inclusive space for fostering social connections.

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED AD

Bodily Autonomy is Fragile:

Scene outside Supreme Court after decision on Texas abortion case.
 Adam Fagen / CC BY 2.0
OPINION: On Sept. 1, Gov. Greg Abbott signed into law a measure that would prohibit abortions as early as six weeks — before some women know that they are pregnant. Columnist Claudia Frykberg argues that the new Texas law provides “[...] yet another example of the unreasonable and burdensome expectations placed on those capable of getting pregnant [...]” Frykberg traces the history of reproductive rights in the United States and examines how the new Texas law exposes cracks in the legal system.

READ THE COLUMN →

Sports:

• SOCCER: After a late scramble to a loose ball, the men’s soccer team suffered a narrow defeat in a hard-fought game against St. John’s, losing 1–0. 
  • FOOTBALL: This Saturday, Oct. 2, Princeton football will compete against Columbia. Both teams are 2–0 this season and have historically battled it out in close games. Head coach Bob Surace ’90 stated, “[ … ] as we head into league play this week against Columbia, we have to tighten some things out and be a bit more exact with what we’re doing.” 

From Prospect:

Books from Humanities sequence
Sydney Peng / The Daily Princetonian
Contributing Writer for The Prospect Clara McWeeny writes about how the cumbersome reading load of the Humanities sequence has undermined the thrill of reading books for pleasure. McWeeny argues that literary worlds previously reserved for her own enjoyment and adventure are now dissected and analyzed to such an extent that readings become impersonal, devoid of their intimacy.

At Your Leisure:

• SATIRE: After the USG Social Committee removed LANY as the Lawnparties headliner, R. Kelly has been selected to fill the void and deliver his final performance before heading to prison. 
  • PODCAST: Be sure to tune into a new episode of Daybreak here
Clean Air
Adam Wickham / The Daily Princetonian 
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Anna Eaton. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp