Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Eating Clubs reopen; University carshare services return

The crowd outside Colonial Club on Sept. 17
Cataleya Jiang '23

Todays Briefing: 

Last weekend, the Street finally opened to all undergraduate students after more than 18 months of remaining shuttered due to COVID-19 restrictions. After remaining “members-only” for the first three weeks of the semester, the 11 eating clubs opened on Sept. 16 with a bang, as many students partook in massive in-person festivities that often led to long lines and overcrowding. The clubs delayed their openings until Sept. 16 due to COVID-19 pandemic-related concerns and adjustments related to planning in-person activities.

Five of the six selective clubs, Cannon Dial Elm Club, Cap & Gown Club, Ivy Club, Tiger Inn, and Tower Club, administered Fall Bicker, while Cottage Club did not. Over 180 upperclassmen participated in Street Week. During the street’s reopening weekend, the Colonial Club’s “Spotlight” party on Friday night amassed considerable crowds of students and was staged inside the club, where few to no students wore masks, according to sources interviewed by the ‘Prince.’

READ THE STORY →

After two years, the University’s CarShare services have made a comeback. An email sent to the undergraduate student body on Sept. 17, 2021, announced the resumption of the services, along with comprehensive information about the 14-vehicle Enterprise CarShare fleet situated at various locations around campus. According to the Enterprise CarShare website, University students are able to rent vehicles at $5/hour, or $40/day, with associated fuel, parking, and insurance costs included. 

“I think that seniors living off-campus or those in eating clubs or on independent meal plans will find it super useful to be able to rent a car just to run to get groceries or supplies for their clubs,” said Hector Betanzos ’22, who found CarShare services immensely useful during his freshman and sophomore years.

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED AD

Opinion

Firestone Library
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian
In response to an article penned by Professors John Londregan and Sergiu Klainerman criticizing the virtual roundtable discussion incorporated into this year’s First-Year Orientation programming, centered on a gallery titled “To Be Known and Be Heard: Systemic Racism and Princeton University,” Managing Editors AG McGee and Zachary Shevin argue that the professors’ critiques are unfounded.

While Londregan and Klainerman dubbed the video recording a “one-sided” tool for indoctrination, McGee and Shevin emphasize that conversely, the video project serves as a facts-based resource that provides first-year students with an important perspective on the University’s historical shortcomings in addressing systemic racism.

“We should understand free speech as a tool to ensure that a multitude of ideas can exist, even the ones we don’t like. We can write this op-ed, and Longregan and Klainerman can write theirs. But, we don’t need to treat every view as legitimate or believe there must be two redeemable sides to every story,” write McGee and Shevin.

READ THE OPINION

Senior Columnist Sally Jane Ruybàlid reflects on her time at Princeton and urges readers to overcome feelings associated with imposter syndrome. Ruybàlid recounts both rewarding and challenging experiences that have shaped her time at the University, spurring her transformation into someone who chooses to unapologetically be herself.

“GPAs, class standings, median incomes — they are all just arbitrary tidbits that only divide the masses. You don’t owe anyone anything,” writes Ruybàlid.

READ THE OPINION

At Your Leisure

• THE PROSPECT: Staff Writer Albert Lee reflects on the exhilarating nature of an in-person semester unhindered by many of the COVID-19 restrictions implemented during the spring semester. Social isolation, academic challenges, and awkwardness were all defining elements of the 2021 spring semester experience when courses were conducted almost exclusively over Zoom. However, this fall semester has ushered in renewed opportunities for social engagement, structured daily routines, and spontaneous activities. Through conversations with fellow '24s, Lee discovers that “what students desire most out of their college experience is simple — to explore campus, make friends, and laugh.”
  • DAYBREAK: Listen to the latest episodes from Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian's daily news podcast!
“Fall” Semester
Elizabeth Medina / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Andrew Do. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp