Tuesday, September 21, 2021

CPUC delivers divestment updates, discusses construction and COVID-19 policies

Administrators, faculty members, students, and other community members gathered in Frist on Monday.
Marissa Michaels / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

Yesterday, the Council of the Princeton University Community (CPUC) met in person for the first time since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic to discuss the University's fossil fuel disassociation plans, as well as current campus construction and University health updates.

On fossil fuel disassociation, President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 stated that “the purpose of selective divestiture is to separate the University from companies whose conduct contravenes the values of the University.” 

READ THE STORY →

The University’s recent response to COVID-19 was the primary topic of discussion at this week’s Undergraduate Student Government (USG) meeting. Assistant Vice President of the Office of Environmental Health and Safety Robin Izzo discussed the logistical details regarding the group responsible for making COVID-19 safety decisions and the future of policy planning. According to Izzo, the current vaccination rate for undergraduate students on campus is 98%, and Izzo emphasized that this does not constitute the entire student body.

“We have planned for anywhere up to a 0.5% [positivity rate],” she said. “Anything above that is considered a high-risk situation.”

READ THE STORY →

“So, do you actually eat at the eating clubs?” “First, Frist, Frick are all the names of different buildings?” “Does anyone jump into the fountain outside SPIA?” These are a few questions which Orange Key tour guides — who have mastered walking down the steps of Blair Arch backwards — received during campus tours, which were last held in person in March 2020

On Monday, September 20, the University relaunched its Orange Key Tours, with many of the first slots rapidly filling up. Sakura Price ’23, an Orange Key tour guide who gave virtual tours during the pandemic, expressed enthusiasm for the transition to in-person programming.

“Prospective students get to actually see the campus,” she said. “And you can finally see people laughing when your jokes hit.”

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED AD

Cancel Culture and Accountability

Senior Columnist Dillion Gallagher urges students to consider the implications of cancel culture, which he argues is destructive and does not hold those who are cancelled accountable. He notes that, while there are many interpretations of cancel culture, it can be defined as “building consensus around the idea that an individual should be shamed or their reputation — professional or personal — attacked for what is perceived as offensive behavior.”

Gallagher also argues that cancel culture should not be viewed as a substitute for accountability, as it does carry significant weight for those who have been cancelled

“Moving cancel culture off our campus may seem trivial to some, nearly impossible to others. Regardless, it is essential. Reuniting and reinvigorating Princeton will send a clear message that the divisions in communities around our country are not final.”

READ THE COLUMN →

At Your Leisure:

Sam Spector and the Degenerates perform at Terrace Club.
Hope Perry / The Daily Princetonian
Late Meal
Paige Min / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Catie Parker. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp