Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Peter Singer wins $1 million Berggruen Prize, Mudd Library reopens

Peter Singer
Courtesy of Peter Singer
Today's Briefing

On Sept. 7, Professor of Bioethics Peter Singer was named the recipient of the $1 million Berggruen Prize for Philosophy & Culture. He joins past recipients including Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Paul Farmer, and he plans to donate the entirety of the $1 million award to various non-profit organizations and other philanthropic enterprises geared toward combating poverty and animal cruelty.

Throughout his storied career as a philosopher, Singer has been outspoken about his endorsement of humanitarian giving and the protection of animal rights. He has also roused controversy for his views concerning the viability of disabled lives.

“Few academic philosophers have ever had the impact of Peter Singer,” said Kwame Anthony Appiah, the chair of the Berggruen Jury and the former Professor Of Philosophy and the University Center for Human Values, in a press release. Appiah regaled Singer with the news of his having been selected as the recipient of the prize during a Zoom call between the two.

READ THE STORY →

On August 30, the Mudd Library reopened after closing for renovations on March 13, 2020. The Mudd Library, located at 65 Olden Street, houses the University Archives and the 20th Century Public Policy Papers.

After extensive renovations, the Mudd Library now boasts an updated fire suppression system, a digitization studio, and a new classroom. In addition, the library received improved plumbing, security, environmental controls, electrical systems, accessibility, and cosmetics to enhance the outward appearance of the building. 

Despite the various changes made to the building, the vast majority of the Mudd Library remains unchanged

“It was important to maintain the overall mid-century feel of the building while working on ways to better utilize the space … what we did improve were the things that help people use the space better,” Assistant University Librarian for Special Collections Sara Logue explained in an interview with The ‘Prince,’ noting, in particular, the improvements in accessibility.

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED AD

At Your Leisure

Iced lattes from six Princeton locations.
TOP left to right: Coffee Club, Rojo’s Roastery, Sakrid
BOTTOM left to right: Small World, Bread Boutique, Starbucks

Sydney Eck / The Daily Princetonian
  • FROM THE PROSPECT: The Prospect’s Tiger Town Treats returns this semester with reviews of the diverse range of delicacies offered at local cafes and restaurants. In this installment, Senior Writer Sydney Eck samples iced vanilla lattes from six local establishments: Bread Boutique, Campus Coffee Club, Rojo's, Sakrid, Small World, and Starbucks. Eck offers candid ratings of this essential drink and other staple beverages available at these locations.
Roko Pozaric ’25 was named the Northeast Water Polo Conference (NWPC) Player and Rookie of the Week for the second consecutive week after his dominant performance this past weekend.
Nicole Maloney / GoPrincetonTigers.com
  • SPORTS: During the Princeton Invitational this past weekend, the men’s water polo team claimed victories against all but one of their opponents. The Tigers played five games in a span of three days, defeating California Baptist 16–10, Johns Hopkins 20–12, Bucknell 18–10, and Fordham 13–6, while losing to Stanford 16–5.
  • PODCAST: Listen to the latest episodes from Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian's daily news podcast!
We Are The Future
Payton Croskey / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Liana Slomka. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp