Friday, May 7, 2021

Over 200 students face disciplinary action for COVID-19 related violations; CPUC Resources Committee to recommend conditional divestment to Board of Trustees

A sign promoting social distancing in front of Blair Arch.
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian

Note from the Newsletter Editor: As today marks the last regular day of publication for The Daily Princetonian, this will be the last regular newsletter you receive for a while. Thank you for your readership, and we hope you'll join us again in the fall. 

Todays Briefing: 

According to a report released by the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students (ODUS), 249 students have faced disciplinary action between Sept. 1 and April 22. Approximately “half of the violations involved students who did not submit two COVID tests per week, per the University testing protocol.” The remainder of the violations were for hosting gatherings or involved hosting off-campus visitors. Moreover, the consequences for the cases varied in severity — some resulting in disciplinary probation for up to 24 months.

READ THE STORY →

Despite University restrictions on sports competitions, 37 club sports teams have convened meetings and practices throughout the course of the spring semester while adhering to social distancing guidelines. The resumption of in-person club sport practices arose after Assistant Director of Campus Recreation Tim Phanthavong sent club sport leaders an email on March 26 in which he announced that the club sports resumption proposal had gained approval for Phase 1 in-person activities. The Daily Princetonian spoke to a few club sport team leaders about the various advantages and disadvantages of resuming in-person practice during the pandemic.

READ THE STORY →

On May 11 and 12, the University will host COVID-19 vaccine clinics open to the public and all members of the University community. The clinics will offer the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine, and follow-ups for the second dose will be automatically scheduled for June 1 and 2 respectively. The University also held a Pfizer vaccine clinic yesterday, May 6. To sign up for a vaccine, New Jersey residents ages 16 and over can register with the state’s Vaccine Scheduling System. 

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED: Celebrate this incredible achievement with a handcrafted Princeton Class Ring by Signitas.

What you need to know about Monday's Council of the Princeton Community Meeting

The Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment.
On Monday afternoon, the Council of the Princeton Community (CPUC) met to discuss several updates regarding campus and administrative happenings.

The Resources Committee shared a list of recommendations they will give to the University Board of Trustees regarding divestment. The Committee will recommend that the University divest and dissociate from the highest-emissions sectors of the fossil fuel industry, as well as from fossil fuel companies that currently either deny climate change or spread climate disinformation. However, the Committee noted that the University would not be able to entirely disassociate from fossil fuels at this time.

Several attendees at the meeting questioned the Committee’s recommendations, with CPUC executive member and ecology professor David Wilcove stating, “I wonder if there is a way for the Resources Committee of the Board of Trustees to rethink the way divestment must be tied with dissociation.”

In other news, President Eisgruber emphasized that there will be no virtual instruction option available to students in the upcoming fall semester, with the exception of certain extenuating circumstances.

In Opinion

The Resources Committee has recommended conditional divestment from fossil fuels. It’s not enough.

In a Guest Column, members of Divest Princeton argue that the CPUC Resources Committee recommendations on divestment do not go far enough and highlight areas for improvement in the recommendations. They state “if Princeton wants to keep up with peer institutions, it must divest from all fossil fuel companies who cannot demonstrate serious commitment to climate action, committing to (at minimum) reducing greenhouse gas emissions 50 percent by 2030, and 100 percent by 2050.”

READ THE COLUMN →

Mental health is not a product of one’s volition. Let’s start acting like it.

Columnist Collin Riggins reflects on the University’s mental health services in light of the recent spike in students seeking CPS appointments. Drawing on the many logistical barriers that students must get through in order to obtain mental health services, Riggins urges the University to take mental health more seriously. Riggins states, “If the University does not start treating mental illness like the illness that it is, they will continue to leave students dejected, unsupported, and alone.”

READ THE COLUMN →

More from Opinion

• Guest Contributor Daniel Te argues that the residential college listserv system would benefit from ample reform in order to ease the burden associated with navigating countless emails and improve its efficiency in reaching a wide audience of undergraduate students. Te writes, “I have concluded that the current email system is so excessively inefficient that we ought to start over and redesign our listserv system entirely.”

At Your Leisure

Sierra Stern / The Daily Princetonian
Easily Distracted
Chloe Raichle / The Daily Princetonian 
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Auhjanae McGee. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540

Add us to your address book.

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA