Friday, April 2, 2021

Proposal for the Princeton Community Center (PCC); Professor Truex ’07 on America's scientific exchange with China

Todays Briefing: 

Princeton residents have circulated a proposal advocating for the creation of the Princeton Community Center (PCC), a community that would dedicate itself to providing a broad range of resources to “vulnerable Princetonians, whose ages span from infant to senior.” Potential services offered by the PCC would include grade school tutoring, maintenance of a community garden, and emergency housing support services.

The letter outlining the plan garnered more than 200 signatures of support in less than a day. It additionally proposes that the construction of the community center could occur at the location of the old Princeton Fire and Rescue Squad with minimal repurposing of extant structures.

READ THE STORY →

In light of recent Department of Justice charges against MIT faculty member Gang Chen, The Daily Princetonian sat down with Rory Truex '07 to discuss America’s scientific exchange with China. Truex, an assistant professor of politics at Princeton, recently wrote in The Atlantic regarding the harm that a U.S. government crackdown on Chinese scientists could have on the state of higher education. 

READ THE Q&A →

SPONSORED: Save the environment and 10% on your electric usage bill by getting your electricity from your share of a local community solar farm.
Plus, it’s cheaper than the standard rate! 

In Opinion:

Driving Change: Guest contributor Sean Crites ’22 urges University students competing for positions at top companies to hold these corporations accountable for the resounding societal implications of their actions and to remove from consideration those companies that fail to align with students’ own moral standards. Crites underscores the recent example of McKinsey & Company, a financial consulting company that abetted Purdue Pharmaceuticals in fueling the opioid epidemic, as an instance of a company that has failed to accept corporate responsibility for exacerbating a crisis that has disproportionately affected poor Americans. Crites notes, “if students and recent graduates come together to demand more of big corporations, we have the power to effect change.”
Governor Kristi Noem vs. Lil Nas X: Speaking on the recent controversy surrounding Lil Nas X’s new song “MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name) and the associated music video, Columnist Brittani Telfair argues that the backlash from Christian conservatives, including Governor Kristi Noem, is ill-founded and rooted in white supremacist notions of Christianity. She states “ultimately, the only agenda 'MONTERO' promotes is that of radical self-acceptance in the face of hatred.”

At your leisure

Sydney Peng / The Daily Princetonian

Check out the new visual essay by cartoonist Wendy Ho!

“Contact Training”: A Visual Essay by Wendy Ho
View the essay →
Wendy Ho / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Cecilia Zubler. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp