Thursday, April 1, 2021

Princeton Lawnparties canceled for the spring; Campus art installation calls for change

Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

This semester, Princeton students cannot look forward to the time-honored tradition of a Lawnparties concert, either in-person or online. Based on the findings from a Spring Social Engagement Survey, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) decided not to recreate the fall’s virtual Jason Derulo performance or any other large virtual events. Instead, USG will prioritize small group activities and the Tigers in Town initiative, partnering with local restaurants to give away free food.

READ THE STORY →

On March 21, a coalition of student activist groups collaborated to create an art installation outside Nassau Hall. Called “Eyes on Eisgruber,” the display featured black-and-white photos of students in support of the movement, as the banner above them proclaimed: “We want to see change.”

READ THE STORY →

For the Class of 2021, Princeton’s cultural graduations will continue via six online ceremonies, celebrating students from certain ethnic and socioeconomic communities. These include ceremonies for students who identify as first-generation, low-income (FLI), Latinx, Pan-African, Middle Eastern and North African, Asian Pacific Islander Desi American, and Native American.

READ THE STORY →

In Prospect: Following a surge in violent attacks against Asians and Asian Americans, Contributing Writer Sophia Zheng returned to historical works of art speaking out against anti-Asian discrimination. Zheng connects the 1973 music album “A Grain of Sand: Music for the Struggle by Asians in America,” the photos and writing of Young Kwok “Corky” Lee, and contemporary racism which permeates popular culture. The recent Atlanta massage parlor shooting, Zheng says, should serve as a wake-up call and a catalyst for action.

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED: Save the environment and 10% on your electric usage bill by getting your electricity from your share of a local community solar farm.
Plus, it’s cheaper than the standard rate! 

From Opinion:

Celebrating Women's History Month:

Sydney Peng / The Daily Princetonian
  • To wrap up Women’s History Month, the ‘Prince’ spoke with some of Princeton’s inspiring female authors. Professor Andrea Goldsmith, Dean of Engineering and Applied Science, talked about confidence, perseverance, and harnessing technology to improve the world.
  • All eight Ivy League newspapers are being run by female editors-in-chief for the first time in the 221 year history of American collegiate reporting. During Women’s History Month, the ‘Prince’ spoke with seven of them about their goals for their time in leadership. 
“Nightmares”
Arianna Borromeo / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Nathalie Verlinde. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp