April 2, 2021

Welcome back to Intersections, as we conclude Week 9 of the semester.

On campus, spring is in full bloom. In walking from Nassau Street to Firestone, one encounters a whole range of colorful flora, including cherry blossoms, daffodils, and the once-majestic blooms of purple magnolias, which have (regrettably) already lost most of their petals. As the weather has become warmer, students and townspeople can be found walking about campus or sprawled out on picnic blankets. With all this activity, sometimes it feels as though life is beginning to return to normal.

Yet the violence continues. On Tuesday, a Filipino woman was violently attacked in Times Square, and on Wednesday, a gunman opened fire at a real-estate office, taking four lives. As we begin preparing for a return to “normal” social relations, it is important that we continue to support one another, both emotionally and — as permitted — physically.

The Prospect continues to provide an open, nonjudgemental space for students to share their experiences and personal reflections — not just as Princeton students, but as humans living in and responding to a time of immense volatility and uncertainty. This week, we published a series of incredibly moving personal reflections written by our staff, both related to the recent violence against Asian Americans as well as matters related to mental health. Their reflections highlight the strength and resilience of the human spirit, and are inspiring in their candidness and vulnerability. If you can, please take a moment to read their thoughts and ponder with them.

We invite you to share your thoughts and responses with us at prospect@dailyprincetonian.com. In the meantime, remember to breathe, and take care.

Cammie Lee ’22
Co-Head Editor of The Prospect
cameornl@princeton.edu

Subscribe to Intersections

Reflections From Our Asian American Community

• Drawing from her personal experiences as an Asian American woman, Prospect Head Editor Cammie Lee reflects on why it is important to take everyday minor acts of racism seriously, interweaving broader social problems related to race with her own personal mental health struggles.

• Contributing Writer Rachel Hsu unpacks her relationship with her Asian identity and how, after growing up in a predominantly white suburb, she internalized many negative thoughts about Asian media and culture, including Korean dramas. She describes the many ways she felt othered because of her Asian identity as a child and teen, and how entering Princeton (and later watching K-dramas) marked a new era for her relationship with Asian culture.
  • Responding to the recent violence against Asian Americans, Contributing Writer Sophia Zheng calls on everyone to take action in support of the Asian and Asian American communities by raising awareness and working to fight the thinly veiled, yet pervasive racism hiding behind our internal biases and microaggressions.

• In a touching meditation on life as a Princeton student, Contributing Writer Gabe Robare calls on students to reflect on what they need to be happy, suggesting that doing less may lead to more fulfillment in life overall.
  • To wrap up Women’s History Month, Senior Writer Aditi Desai and Staff Writer Sydney spoke with four female professors about the power of writing and the importance of being women in professional spaces. The first entry features Dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Science Andrea Goldsmith. The second entry features Chair of the Lewis Center of the Arts Tracy K. Smith.
  • Staff Writer Mikaela Avakian recounts a conversation between Mari Carmen Ramírez and Yasmin Ramírez, who discussed the transformative role of archives in the preservation of Latinx art, culture, and authenticity in America in an event hosted by the Art and Archaeology Department at the University.

What to Do This Weekend

• The Lewis Center for the Arts is hosting a Zoom reading and town hall discussion on April 6 at 6 p.m. ET with poet Su Hwang, author of "Bodega," and Professor Monica Youn about her work, and the recent violence in the past several months. The Lewis Center will provide copies of "Bodega" for registrants. Register here.
  • Tune in on April 5 at 4:30PM EST for a conversation between filmmaker Lee Isaac Chung and Professor Anne Anlin Cheng via Zoom, sponsored by: The Department of English, Program in American Studies, Office of the Dean of the College. Register for the event
    here.
  • Submit your creative work to Princeton University's Virtual ArtsFest Competition! If selected, you and your artwork will be featured in one of Princeton University’s major virtual art events from May 1st — May 15, 2021, on view to all members of the Princeton University community. Submissions are due April 21, 2021. Find more information about the competition here.

Submit a Love Story

Are you a Princeton University student or alum with a story to tell about love? The Prospect wants to hear from you. We define love stories broadly; reflections on your relationship with your parents, the loss of a loved one, a meaningful friendship, or a breakup with a significant other all qualify as love stories! 

There are two options for submission: Heartstrings are up to 1,700 words, and Lil’ Love Stories are 100 - 200 words. You can submit anonymously (but you’re not required to!). Submit your story here.

Lillian Chen '21 is Associate Prospect Editor emerita, as well as the founder of and curator of the "Heartstrings & Lil' Love” column. If you have any questions, she can be reached at lillianc@princeton.edu.

Today's newsletter was copy edited by Cecilia Zubler '23.
Homepage
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently. 

Our mailing address is: 
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ  08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540-5116 · USA