Friday, April 9, 2021

Candace Jackson-Akiwumi ’00 will be the 2nd Black woman to serve on the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago

Everett McKinley Dirksen Courthouse, home of the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals.
"Dirksen United States Courthouse, Chicago Loop, Chicago, Illinois" by Ken Lund / CC SA 2.0

Todays Briefing: 

President Joe Biden recently announced his intention to nominate Candace Jackson-Akiwumi ’00 to the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago. If confirmed, Jackson-Akiwumi will be the second Black woman to serve in the position. Her nomination, as well as those of 10 other candidates, underscores the Biden Administration’s broader efforts to create a more diverse federal judiciary.

Previously, Jackson-Akiwumi has worked as an attorney for the Federal Defender Program in Chicago, where “she represented more than 400 indigent clients accused of federal crimes.” She also served as a director of the Princeton Club of Chicago and was a member of the legal team that pursued a successful challenge at the Supreme Court against a death row inmate’s unjust sentence.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION: In a moving personal essay, Graduate Student Columnist Mark Lee illustrates a comparison between the significant increase in violence against Asians and Asian Americans and the constant ostracization of his identity growing up and even as he entered the workforce.

Lee writes “A video goes viral of a man in New York kicking an Asian woman to the ground as bystanders do nothing. The victim is 65, the same age as my mother. It feels nearly apocalyptic, like I’m once again surrounded by scorching, racist, and destructive flames, the classmates around me barely seeming to notice. But this time, something feels different.”

READ THE COLUMN→

SPONSORED: Save money, help local businesses, and support Princeton’s public and charter schools with the Princeton Perks discount card. That’s a win-win-win! Cards sales end April 30. 

At Your Leisure:

Inci Karasslan / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Cecilia Zubler. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp