Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Campus responds to Chauvin verdict; Divest Princeton rallies

“Derek Chauvin Trial March”
Chad Davis / CC BY-SA

Todays Briefing: 

Students, professors, and alumni have shared their thoughts about what the conviction of Minneapolis police officer Derek Chavin means for racial justice. Omar Wasow, Assistant Professor of Politics, wrote that “any analysis that tries to say ‘victory’ or ‘loss’ on any one moment is missing the degree to which this is going to be playing out for decades.” The University has also created a list of events and resources about the case.

READ THE STORY →

On Monday, April 26, the University released new guidelines pertaining to travel restrictions for the summer. Students considered “low-risk” will no longer be required to obtain additional permission for University-sponsored domestic travel in the United States, according to a memo emailed to the University community. These guidelines will officially go into effect on May 24 and do not apply to international travel.

READ THE STORY →

During the last USG Senate meeting of the school year, five committee chairs presented their progress reports and plans for next year, including the: University Social Life Committee, Sustainability Committee, Academics Committee, Campus and Community Affairs Committee, and Social Committee. Charles An ’22 was also confirmed as the Chair for the new TigerApps Committee.  

READ THE STORY →

Yesterday, a University announcement revealed that Taishi Nakase ’21 and Lucy Wang ’21 will serve as Valedictorian and Salutatorian, respectively, for the Class of 2021. Both students have been awarded the Shapiro Prize for Academic Excellence and plan on attending medical school. Nakase is concentrating in Operations Research and Financial Engineering while Wang is concentrating in Chemistry and is pursuing a certificate in Classics with a focus on Ancient Roman Language and Culture.

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED: Celebrate this incredible achievement with a handcrafted Princeton Class Ring by Signitas.

Divest Princeton

Students hold cardboard signs with hand-painted slogans, urging fossil fuel divestment at the April 24 rally.
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian
This past Earth Day, roughly 100 people gathered in front of Nassau Hall for an “Earth Day, No Delay” rally spearheaded by Divest Princeton. The CPUC resources committee is expected to announce a decision regarding whether it will recommend divestment to the Board of Trustees next month.

Hannah Reynolds ’21, a speaker at the Divest Princeton event, noted in her speech that “we cannot afford to wait any longer” to take decisive action against climate change as we “do not have the luxury of time on our side.”
Opinion

At Your Leisure:

"Capitalized"
Ashley Chung / The Daily Princetonian 
  • SPORTS: The NBA has recently hired another Princeton alumnus, James Cadogan ’03, as the first Executive Director of the National Basketball Social Justice Coalition. In a press release, Cadogan noted, “The Social Justice Coalition cements the NBA family’s commitment to civic engagement and policy action at a crucial moment in our nation.”
  • MULTIMEDIA: If you are looking to take a study break, tune in to the latest episode of Daybreak.
  • CROSSWORD: Try your hand at this week’s crossword puzzle, “Capitalized,” devised by Contributing Constructor Henry Herrington. Read the associated commentary by Puzzles Co-Head Editor Gabriel Robare here.
#iykyk
Grace Chung / The Daily Princetonian 
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Catie Parker. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp