Thursday, April 22, 2021

On Earth Day, celebrating Princeton’s natural beauty and pushing for sustainability

Todays Briefing: 

Good morning and happy Earth Day! Whether you're joining us from New Jersey or anywhere else in the world, we hope you'll take some time today to enjoy the natural world around you and consider the impact you have on the Earth and its climate. We're excited today to announce our special Earth Day issue, which you can find in full here. From a deep exploration of the Princeton Birding Society to recommendations on environmentally focused poems, this special issue explores the natural beauty inherent to Princeton and issues important to students, such as sustainability, divestment, and animal treatment. 

GO TO THE SPECIAL ISSUE →

On March 21, a coalition of student activist groups including Divest Princeton collaborated to create an art installation outside Nassau Hall. Called “Eyes on Eisgruber,” the display featured black-and-white photos of students in support of the movement, as the banner above them proclaimed: “We want to see change.”

READ THE STORY →

Rutgers recently became the first university in New Jersey to divest from fossil fuels, which currently make up five percent of Rutgers’ endowment. The organization Divest Princeton has pushed for the university to make a similar commitment, circulating a petition with 2,200 signatures. Some of Princeton’s environmental programs continue to be financed by fossil fuel companies.

READ THE STORY →

In the midst of a global pandemic, one safe, relaxing, and popular activity is trekking into nature to look for birds. The Princeton Birding Society (PBS) has thrived since its inception in the spring of 2019, when 18 students showed up for an early morning walk. Pictures of the campus hawk populate the PBS GroupMe, and the club has come to advocate for sustainability and local conservation.

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED

From Opinion

Fourth of July Ring of Fire on Honeoye Lake
Hannah Reynolds / The Daily Princetonian

At Your Leisure

Ashley Chung / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Nathalie Verlinde. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp