Tuesday, April 20, 2021

ASL proposal approved; Some Princeton athletes will compete this spring

A student signing ASL, the abbreviation for American Sign Language.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

The Faculty Committee on the Course of Study has unanimously approved a proposal presented by the Linguistics Department to establish a sequence in American Sign Language (ASL), which will satisfy the University’s language requirement for undergraduate students. On Tuesday, the proposal was approved amid the recent traction from a USG referendum with student signatures advocating for the establishment of such a sequence. In light of the recent decision made by COCS, the referendum will no longer be included on the USG ballot.

READ THE STORY →

Two University juniors were recently awarded the Truman Scholarship, a highly competitive merit-based award for undergraduates interested in pursuing a career in public service that grants $30,000 towards graduate studies. Claire Wayner ’22 and Jessica Lambert ’22 were among the 60 recipients named 2021 Truman Scholars. In addition to providing recipients with a monetary reward, Truman Scholars also receive priority admission and supplemental financial aid at certain prestigious graduate programs, career counseling, internship opportunities within the federal government, and cohort leadership training.

READ THE STORY →

USG elections have begun with only five contested seats. The ballot will also include seven U-Councilor positions to be confirmed, with the remaining three seats to be filled by application. The referendum to have ASL fulfill the language requirement will no longer appear on the ballot, following an expansion under the Program of Linguistics. Voting will end at noon on Thursday, April 22 with results to be announced by email at 1:30 PM on Friday, April 23. 

READ THE STORY →

The USG Senate unanimously decided to sign a joint statement by UHS and CPS about mental health on campus that was emailed to students this past Monday. Concerns were raised about how the armed robbery this past Saturday has further affected mental health. Furthermore, Tigers in Town was considered a potential avenue to help students relieve stress. Finally, as a new initiative, free packing supplies will be available to undergraduate students from April 26 to May 15. 

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED: Celebrate this incredible achievement with a handcrafted Princeton Class Ring by Signitas.

Need an Extension? Ask!

McCosh Health Center
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian
The Daily Princetonian Editorial Board encourages students to “ask for the damn extension” when needed. This comes as a response to what the Board describes as limited action from the University to provide adequate breaks and academic support. The piece also adds, “to any faculty members, administrators, and other people in positions of power reading this: offer help before you are asked.”

Princeton Athletics

Clarke Field
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

At Your Leisure: 

• Don’t forget to catch up on new episodes of Daybreak here
  • Try out this week’s crossword puzzle here. Be sure to read Puzzles Head Editor Gabriel Robare’s commentary about the baseball theme and tricky answers. 
5 Stages of Course Selection
Sophia Colmenares / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Catie Parker. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp