Monday, April 12, 2021

Whig-Clio trustees choose not to rescind Sen. Ted Cruz's James Madison Award; 2021 Commencement Ceremony to allow all graduating students to attend

Todays Briefing: 

After the students in the American Whig-Cliosophic Society, known colloquially as Whig-Clio, voted to rescind Sen. Ted Cruz's James Madison Award, the highest honor the organization bestows upon public servants, Whig-Clio trustees decided the organization would not rescind the award. In an email, Vice President Grace Xu ’22 stated that under the Whig-Clio constitution, “there is no basis for a new group of students to evaluate actions after the JMA is given and subsequently to revoke the award.”

Despite retaining the award, Cruz will face sanctions from the organization, the email outlined, noting that Cruz's picture will be taken off the Whig-Clio website and that the organization not be inviting Cruz to speak on campus in the coming year. The news came with mixed reactions from students and Whig-Clio leadership. 

READ THE STORY →

All 2021 graduating seniors and masters and Ph.D. recipients will be allowed to attend this year’s Commencement ceremony in person, according to an April 9 update to the University's Commencement website. Each graduating student will be permitted up to two guests and the event will be live-streamed for those who are unable to attend in person. While guests will be required to comply with New Jersey state and CDC guidelines for travel, they will not be required to show proof of vaccination.

READ THE STORY →

During an April 7 webinar, María Corina Machado, a prominent Venezuelan opposition leader, spoke with students about the Venezuelan crisis and her personal journey in politics. Machado shared her struggles as a female politician in Venezuela with the audience, as well as her vision for the future of the country. The event, hosted by Princeton's Alexander Hamilton Society, drew over 100 attendees.

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED: Save money, help local businesses, and support Princeton’s public and charter schools with the Princeton Perks discount card. That’s a win-win-win! Cards sales end April 30. 

In Opinion

The Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment

How much is Princeton’s contract with Exxon worth? 

Guest Contributor Tom Taylor urges the University to be more transparent about its funding sources in order to prevent conflicts of interest in research and investment decisions.

He states “the University is following a troubling broader trend of covering up financial partnerships in favor of dark money. Princeton and Exxon get all the benefits of the partnership and none of the accountability.”

At your leisure

Mantra Rays
Sydney Peng / The Daily Princetonian
  • FEATURES: “This is easily the happiest I’ve ever been in my life,” said Elliot Lee ’23 of his current relationship. In a time of enforced distance and isolation, couples, Residential College Advisors, a Peer Health Advisor, and one of the “Datamatch Supreme Cupids” weigh in on the challenges of campus dating. Check it out here!
  • SPORTS: Despite their canceled athletic season, the women's lacrosse team is staying motivated, using practices and scrimmages to look ahead to future competitions. Read all about it here
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Isabel Rodrigues. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp