Monday, March 8, 2021

Five University professors named Sloan Research Fellows; Young Alumni Trustee Finalists announced; International Womens Day

THIS WEEK IN PHOTOS: March 17
VISIT THE COLLECTION →

Todays Briefing: 

Five Princeton University professors were named among this year’s 128 Sloan Research Fellows, a prestigious recognition awarded to the United States and Canada’s top scientific researchers. The professors, hailing from a variety of departments across the University, will each receive a $75,000 grant to support their research efforts over the next two years.

READ THE STORY →

Seniors Jonathan A. Ort ’21, Emma Parish ’21, and Morgan A. Smith ’21 were announced as the finalists for this year’s Young Alumni Trustee (YAT) election. Voting will begin in late April, and the results will be announced on May 28.

READ THE STORY →

On International Women’s Day, Editor-in-Chief Emma Treadway remarks on her own experience as a woman and speaks to the ever-vital role of the female voice in journalism. She writes that “[t]o keep speaking loudly and to push back vehemently when your voice is drowned out is commendable. To do so with the grace and poise of the women on this team is extraordinary.”

READ THE OPINION →

What surprising thing did you learn about writing while at Princeton? “I learned how to be terrible,” Jeanette Beebe ’14 told The Daily Princetonian’s Anna Salvatore. Beebe spoke about her time at Princeton and her experience covering COVID-19 on a local level as a health journalist.

READ THE INTERVIEW →

SPONSORED: Save the environment and 10% on your electric usage bill by getting your electricity from your share of a local community solar farm.
Plus, it’s cheaper than the standard rate! 

At Your Leisure

• OPINION: Andi Grene contextualizes the coup in Myanmar and argues that the institution of democracy does not necessarily lead to the protection of human rights. She writes that “we must resist the comfort offered by superficial nomenclature and work to address discrepancies between government theory and practice, both at home and globally.”
A banner from Divest Princeton’s Feb. 13, 2020 protest draped on a tiger at Nassau Hall.
Courtesy of Anna Hiltner ’23
  • FEATURES: Divest Princeton, a student group calling for University divestment from fossil fuels, submitted a proposal to the Council of the Princeton University Community (CPUC) Resources Committee last year, which is still being reviewed by the University. As Divest Princeton awaits a decision, the ‘Prince’ examined the history of divestment movements on campus — both successful and not.
  • OPINION: Guest columnist Ryan Warsing GS calls on the University to announce its decision on fossil fuel divestment by Earth Day, April 22. “Today the countdown begins,” he writes, “... for broad, meaningful commitments.”
My new roommates
C Leane / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Isabel Rodrigues. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp