Friday, March 5, 2021

Texas blackout highlights urgency of climate crisis; COVID-19 “death toll” rhetoric obscures causes of fatality

A thin layer of snow and ice covers the ground after unusual weather in Texas.
Nafisa Ahmed / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s Briefing: 

In the Opinion section, Maisie McPherson underscores how climate change denial exacerbated the recent winter weather crisis in Texas and calls on the University to divest from fossil fuel companies that actively fuel the climate crisis. The crisis in Texas, McPherson argues, reinforces the need to reduce and ultimately eliminate the nation’s dependence on fossil fuels as a predominant energy source.

“Princeton should look at the incident in Texas, as well as testaments from students who call Texas home, and realize that the climate crisis is real and evolving — it will not stop unless we do,” McPherson writes.

READ THE OPINION →

Opinion writer Mark Lee argues that claiming that half a million Americans “died” of COVID-19 neglects the fact that this staggering number of deaths can be attributed to the influence of existing oppressive structures, including those that enabled the irresponsible actions of government officials as well as the self-serving behaviors of corporate lobbyists who stymied relief measures for low-income Americans. Lee encourages readers to acknowledge the large impact that underlying systemic and historical barriers have exacted with respect to the uneven death toll of COVID-19 in America in order to actuate policies that would prevent such mass tragedies from occurring in the future.

“When we fail to name the actors and policies that cause harm, we risk repeating the same mistakes and suffering,” Lee writes.

READ THE OPINION →

Reflecting on the changes to University life brought on by the pandemic, contributing columnist Brigitte Harbers recounts the struggles of balancing classes on Zoom — and how this has stripped away the enjoyment of Princeton academics. Harbers urges students to make use of the P/D/F policy as a way to rekindle enthusiasm and avoid anxieties about particular courses, especially this semester. 

“My recommendation is to P/D/F at least one class this semester: regardless of the grade at the end of the term, take the time to engage with what is actually being taught. Emerge in May being able to actively reflect on what you learned, and whether that changed your perspective or even your desire to pursue that subject even more or just abandon it.” 

READ THE OPINION →

The National Basketball Association (NBA) recently announced that Leon Newsome 92, previously the deputy director of the U.S. Secret Service, has been named chief security officer. In his new role, Newsome will oversee all aspects of security operations for the NBA, Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA), NBA G League, and NBA 2K League. During his time at Princeton, Newsome played on the Ivy League Champion Football Team and received All-Ivy Honors in 1990.  

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED: Save the environment and 10% on your electric usage bill by getting your electricity from your share of a local community solar farm.
Plus, it’s cheaper than the standard rate! 

At Your Leisure

President Eisgruber joins Smash Bros
Daniel Te / The Daily Princetonian
  • Try your hand at this week's crossword puzzle, titled “All In,” and read Gabriel Robare’s commentary on the puzzle here.
  • Be sure to catch up on the latest episodes of Daybreak, a daily news podcast from the ‘Prince’!
  • Find Daybreak on SpotifyApple Podcasts, and Google Podcast.
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Celia Buchband ’22. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp