Monday, March 29, 2021

Stop Asian Hate rally held at Hinds Plaza; N.J. updates vaccine eligibility guidelines

Todays Briefing: 

On Saturday, hundreds gathered in Hinds Plaza to rally against recent violence and discrimination faced by Asians and Asian Americans. The rally's list of speakers included Jennifer Lee ’23 and Kesavan Srivilliputhur ’23, co-presidents of the Asian American Students Association (AASA), who spoke on the role of education in dismantling systems of oppression. During the rally, a moment of silence was also held for the eight victims of the recent shooting in Atlanta, Ga., six of whom were Asian. 

READ THE STORY →

Despite new guidelines from CDC stating that fully vaccinated individuals are now permitted to gather in indoor spaces with other vaccinated individuals without a mask, Princeton’s Social Contract will remain as it currently stands for the Spring semester. University Spokesperson Michael Hotchkiss cited safety concerns, writing in an email to the ‘Prince’ as “students cannot be certain of the vaccination or risk status of those around them,”

In other COVID-19 news, as of March 26, New Jersey has expanded vaccine eligibility to 10 new groups starting April 5, including higher education instructors and staff, librarians and library staff, and utility workers. Governor Phil Murphy also set May 1 as the target date for anyone 16 years or older to be eligible for the vaccine.  

READ THE STORY →

Effective July 1, Sarah-Jane Leslie ’07, the Class of 1943 Professor of Philosophy, will step down from her position as Dean of the Graduate School to resume teaching, research, and student mentorship. During her tenure, she oversaw the launch of the Graduate Scholars Program (GSP) and GradFUTURES, two initiatives that aim to expand diversity and professional development programs at the Graduate School.

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED: Save the environment and 10% on your electric usage bill by getting your electricity from your share of a local community solar farm.
Plus, it’s cheaper than the standard rate! 

In Opinion

From The Daily Princetonian's Opinion Section come two new series, both concerning American politics and policy. See them below!

A New Gilded Age

In the first article of his series “Confronting Gerrymandering,” Columnist Collin Riggins argues that in order to avoid the pitfalls of our “New Gilded Age,” we must structurally reform the electoral system, stating that "It is not enough to rely on individual elected officials to make a change." 

READ THE COLUMN →

The Election of 1800

In the first article of his series on American Partisanship, Senior Columnist Juan José López Haddad explains how the American Election of 1800 demonstrates that partisanship can be useful for representation, as long as all sides participate in open dialogue, and can serve as a model for America today. 

READ THE COLUMN →

More from Opinion: The Honor Code is Broken

Contributing Columnist Rohit Narayanan urges us to re-evaluate Princeton’s Honor Code, which, he argues, is not truly based on honor. He writes “the Honor Code is not fundamentally based on honor” but rather “based on fear.”

At your leisure

Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com
  • SPORTS: Contributing Writer Howard Wang takes an inside look into the University's fencing teams, which have won consecutive NCAA titles and continue to be leading fencing teams in the country. 
  • FROM THE PROSPECT: Drawing from her personal experiences as an Asian American woman, Prospect Head Editor Cammie Lee reflects on why it is important to take every day minor acts of racism seriously.
  • FROM THE PROSPECT: In a touching meditation on life as a Princeton student, Contributing Writer Gabriel Robare asks students to reflect on what they need to be happy, suggesting that doing less may lead to more fulfillment in life overall.
When Zoom Humor Hits Different
Nicabec Casido / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Isabel Rodrigues. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp