Friday, March 26, 2021

'Prince' announces 4-day publication schedule

The entrance to 48 University Pl., which houses The Daily Princetonian’s newsroom.

Todays Briefing: 

Letter from the Editor: Editor-in-Chief Emma Treadway announces that The Daily Princetonian will publish only four days a week for the remainder of the semester and urges other Princetonians to take similar actions in an effort to ease student burdens amidst a difficult semester and year. She states “Our trite 'mental health matters' rhetoric does little if it is not fortified by action. Even as we near the end of the academic year, it is not too late to change pace.”

READ THE STORY →

In research news, a team led by Professor of Chemical and Biological Engineering Robert Prud’homme and Keller Center Entrepreneurship Specialist and Lecturer Shahram Hejazi have developed a novel encapsulation technology that aims to help administer more effective and robust vaccines. Their technology, known as inverse flash nanoprecipitation, will allow for the creation of vaccines with “limited induced immune responses,” which could be important in treating medical conditions such as inflammatory diseases and genetic disorders.

READ THE STORY →

Due to the COVID-19 crisis, many students, both incoming and matriculated, chose to take gap years for the current academic year. The Daily Princetonian spoke with six students, including five admits and a current student, about their decisions to take gap years, where that’s taken them, and what they’ve learned from their experiences.

I had never, before April, thought about taking a gap year. I thought it was a dumb idea,” Dominic Dominguez ’25 said. “I always imagined, if you took a gap year, you would just be sitting around for a while.”

READ THE STORY →

Sports writer Wilson Conn traces the history of one of Princeton’s most beloved sports teams: the men’s basketball team — specifically, the 1988-89 team. Conn dives into how the team, led by Hall of Fame coach Pete Carril and captain Bob Scrabis ’89, began the season by looking for a way to rebound from a third-place finish in the previous year’s Ivy League Conference. Now, the 1988-89 team is known for having “kicked off a transformation that would return the Tigers to their powerhouse status in the Ivy League.”

READ THE STORY →

In Opinion:

Tigers below their stripes: 

How often do you think of your high school community? As noted by Opinion columnist Genrietta Churbanova, while many of our high school experiences varied in great degrees, “students who felt accepted and elevated by their high school communities” give back to their schools. During a time when high school students are faced with unprecedented challenges, Churbanova urges Princeton students to serve as active alumni.

Not all men, but all women: 

“Women are taught to wear bright clothing, call a loved one on their walk home, and take well-lit paths as they venture home in the dark. Even when women do all 'the right steps,' they can still be in danger,” states Columnist Maisie McPherson in her latest column. Speaking on the recent killing of Sarah Evervard in London and the resulting protests, McPherson argues that more education around sexual harassment is necessary and urges all students to take such education seriously.
SPONSORED: Save the environment and 10% on your electric usage bill by getting your electricity from your share of a local community solar farm.
Plus, it’s cheaper than the standard rate! 

At your leisure

Play “Crucigrama de la Mancha,” this Friday's Crossword!
Ashley Chung / The Daily Princetonian
  • PUZZLES: Calling all Spanish solvers of the ‘Prince’ crossword! On a trip across Spain, constructor Sebastian Hayden takes us from “Don Quijote” to “Money Heist”.
    FROM THE PROSPECT: Associate Editor José Pablo Fernández García reflects on growing up in the age of mass shootings and how a return of such tragedies to the headlines grossly feels like a return to American normalcy. Amid a global pandemic that has upended any semblance of the American status quo, the fact that the dawn of post-pandemic life coincides with the return of mass shootings places into focus the disconcerting nature of American normalcy.

• FROM THE SEXPERT: In light of USG partnering with OrganiCup to provide students with free menstrual cups, The Sexpert’s latest piece details the pros and cons of using cups, as well as helpful tips about how to insert them. 
“Weathering Heights (and Lows)”
Julia Chang / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Cecilia Zubler. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp