Tuesday, March 2, 2021

ODUS discusses new “Tigers in Town” initiative; Report reveals 55 Social Contract violations resulting in discipline

USG Senate Meeting
Andrew Somerville / The Daily Princetonian

Today’s Briefing: 

During the USG Senate meeting this past Sunday, representatives from ODUS came to discuss the possibility of connecting students with local businesses. The new initiative titled “Tigers in Town” would allow students to host events at local businesses where they could offer one free item to attendees. In addition, various Senate committees appointed new members and funding was approved for the Asian American Students Association to host speaker Ien Chi. 

READ THE STORY →

A new report released by ODUS revealed that there have been 55 Social Contract violations resulting in disciplinary action since the start of the academic year. Forty-four of these violations have resulted in disciplinary probation. The report stated that “just over half of the violations” involved large gatherings and/or off-campus guests. Other violations have included not following arrival quarantine protocol, not complying with regular testing protocol, and violating student organization regulations. 

READ THE STORY →

The severe snowstorms in Texas left many University students both on- and off-campus concerned as their home state’s faulty energy infrastructure subjected students and their families to food and water shortages, freezing temperatures, and a sustained loss of electricity, among other complications. 

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED

:Explore Opinion

In her inaugural column, Contributing Columnist Ava Milberg reflects on the University’s programming for last week’s National Eating Disorder Awareness Week. She argues that more should be done in the future such as “hosting more events” and “publicizing these events in a more engaging and impactful manner” to promote awareness and conversation about eating disorders.         

READ THE OPINION 
Opinion writer Sally Jane Ruybalid calls on elite institutions of higher education to advocate for transformational changes on the state and federal level in order to ameliorate the quality of public education nationwide. She writes that certain states allocate funding to schools on the basis of local property taxes. This system, according to Ruybalid, creates massive disparities in the quality of education among public schools in different parts of her state of Colorado, including insufficient academic resources and unreliable modes of school transportation. 

“Dropping standardized test requirements does very little to help us; it’s only a tiny pixel in a massive, bleak image of the American public school system and its toxic inequalities,” writes Ruybalid.            

READ THE OPINION 
At Your Leisure
Boba from 4 Stores on Nassau Street
Sydney Eck / The Daily Princetonian
         From The Prospect:
  • Staff writer Sydney Eck samples boba from four local restaurants in a new Prospect series titled “Tiger Town Treats.” Eck ranked the drinks on the quality of the milk tea, the quality of the tapioca pearls, and the ambiance of the restaurant to determine whether or not she believes each place is worth the price. 
  • Prospect contributing writer Aybars Onder provides an overview of a play entitled “Democracy Theater - City Council Meeting,” which was staged on Monday, Jan. 25th as part of Wintersession with the collaboration of first-year students who had enrolled in FRS143 “Is Politics a Performance?” The play, Onder writes, underscored the hierarchical dichotomy between political representatives and those being represented.
          From Multimedia:
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Catie Parker. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp