March 5, 2021

As we spring right into March, welcome back to the fifth installment of Intersections, a newsletter run by The Prospect section of The Daily Princetonian dedicated to delivering arts and culture to your inbox.

February has come and gone, and midterms week looms ahead. A very interesting transition, in my opinion, from discussions about love and the importance of Black history to stressing over examinations and writing papers. And the brief, two-day reprieve from school work doesn't give much room for relaxation. Please make sure to take care of yourselves, and prioritize your well being over test scores and grades. Maybe even try some boba as a nice treat.

Sydney Eck / The Daily Princetonian
This week is also instrumental because it marks the one year anniversary of the final week of normalcy on campus, before everything changed due to COVID-19. On March 9, 2020, during midterms week, the University inadvertently released a statement announcing that the next two weeks of courses would be virtual, and it discouraged students traveling for spring break from returning to campus.

That is when the fear set in.

The year that followed saw unimaginable loss and suffering, unprecedented activism and social change, and an unorthodox school year. And now with vaccines increasing in availability, there appears to be light at the end of a bleak, dank tunnel.

For an upcoming project marking this historic moment, The Prospect is soliciting submissions from the Princeton community about how the past year has transformed you. These can be written reflections, images with short captions, and/or short video responses. Whatever impact 2020 had on you, big or small, we would love for you to share. Please submit your entries by March 17 at 11:59pm EST.

On a more local level, The Prospect experienced unexpected growth and success, which I am extraordinarily grateful for. Our recent content has highlighted the little things that make us feel normal, whether that be podcasts, anime, theater, or our favorite Black art. We have talked about how it feels just to be back on campus, reminisced about the pros and cons of Princeton's social scene, and uplifted the accomplishments of Black women, past and present. 

Payton Croskey / The Daily Princetonian
I do not know what to call this feeling — optimism, perhaps? — but I do know that it is one I am personally enjoying. I find that I am more productive and upbeat, even compared to last semester. Perhaps it's because I can go to Wawa whenever I'd like, perhaps it's because I can see the faces of people that I missed for months, I am not sure. But it warms my heart, and I hope you feel it too.

I hope that you are doing well, in general. If you'd like to share how you're feeling right now, we always love to read outside submissions. Take care!

Auhjanae McGee
Co-Head Editor of The Prospect
ajmcgee@princeton.edu
Subscribe to Intersections

What’s the Conversation

• TV & Shows Critic Molly Cutler delves into the world of fiction podcasts, examining how “Fun City,” set in a post-climate disaster New York City, merges table-top games, improv comedy, acting, and storytelling.
  • Staff Writer Cathleen Weng chronicles the arrival of The Marriage Pact — a matchmaking algorithm created by Stanford students — at Princeton, speaking to students about their experiences and opinions regarding the service.
Sydney Peng / The Daily Princetonian
  • From News, Guest Contributor Daniel Te speaks to several Princeton residents about their views on the return of students to campus. Many express sympathy for local businesses that have struggled due to the pandemic, and excitement for the students.
  • Senior Writer Lillian Chen describes her experiences at Terrace Club, Tower Club, Colonial Club, and Cap & Gown Club, and reflects on how each eating club contributed to her self-discovery.
Sierra Stern / The Daily Princetonian
  • Staff Writer Tiana Ruden revisits Theodore Melfi’s “Hidden Figures” for Black History Month, praising the writing and its forward-looking perspective while remaining critical of its historical omissions. 
  • TV & Shows Critic Etiosa Omeike speaks about his personal connection to the 2015 classical music anime Your Lie in April, which “creates [...] feelings of relatability and authenticity” all too uncommon in the midst of a pandemic. 
  • Theatre Critic Aybars Onder reviews “Democracy Theater — City Council Meeting,” a play put on by students enrolled in the fall freshman seminar FRS 143: Is Politics a Performance? He highlights the complex way the play approaches the concept of representative democracy, particularly through its unique choice to allow audience members to participate in the production.
Sydney Peng / The Daily Princetonian
  • Staff Writer Sydney Eck reviews milk tea and boba from Fruity Yogurt & Cafe, Kung Fu Tea, Korean Barbeque Grill (KBG), and Ficus, all accessible to Princeton students on Nassau Street.
  • In honor of Black History Month, Prospect writers share their favorite works of literature, music, and art created by Black artists, from Nikki Giovanni to Kanye West. The ‘Prince’ also created a Spotify playlist of songs recommended by Prospect staff, which you can listen to here.

What to Do This Weekend

• Princeton undergraduate students premiere, on YouTube, a fully-virtual production of Cavalli’s La Calisto on March 6. 
  • This weekend is the last opportunity to visit Legends of the Arts: A Black History Month Exhibit, organized by the Arts Council of Princeton and Museums and Motion. The exhibition highlights the work of figures such as the poet and author Langston Hughes, and the activist, actor, and singer Paul Robeson.

Book-ish: A Prospect Podcast. From The Daily Princetonian, Book-ish is more than a book review podcast: tune in every other Saturday for a discussion of a great book and its cultural significance, hosted by Contributing Writer Gabe Robare. For the second installment of Book-ish, Robare reviews “A Mathematician’s Apology” by G.H. Hardy. Listen to the episode here, or stream on Spotify.

Have a book you want us to review, or want to talk about a previous episode? Send us an email at podcast@dailyprincetonian.com.

Sandy Yang / The Daily Princetonian

Submit a Love Story

Are you a Princeton student or alum with a story to tell about love? The Prospect wants to hear from you. We define love stories broadly; reflections on your relationship with your parents, the loss of a loved one, a meaningful friendship, or a breakup with a significant other all qualify as love stories! 

There are two options for submission: Heartstrings are up to 1,700 words, and Lil’ Love Stories are 100–200 words. You can submit anonymously (but you’re not required to!). If you are interested, submit your story here.

Lillian Chen is Associate Prospect Editor Emerita as well as the founder of and curator of the "Heartstrings & Lil' Love” column. If you have any questions, she can be reached at lillianc@princeton.edu.

Today's newsletter was copy edited by Celia Buchband. Thank you.
Homepage
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently. 

Our mailing address is: 
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ  08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540-5116 · USA