Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Committee considering fossil fuel divestment to release recommendations this May; USG discusses Public Safety body camera policy

USG Senate Meeting
Andrew Somerville / The Daily Princetonian 

Todays Briefing: 

At the March 22nd meeting of the Council of the Princeton University Community (CPUC), the Council discussed a timeline on fossil fuel divestment recommendations, campus accessibility improvement plans, racial equality initiatives, and expectations regarding how the global pandemic will continue to shape campus life. 

The Council’s Resource Committee announced that it would formally submit its recommendations regarding the question of fossil fuel divestment to the University Board of Trustees in May, a year after the Resource Committee first received the original divestment proposal.

READ THE STORY →

The new body camera policy for Department of Public Safety officers was discussed at the USG Senate meeting this past Sunday. Sergeant Ryan Ryder explained the implementation of this policy and answered questions from USG Senate members about disciplinary action for non-complying officers. USG also reviewed data from the Tigers in Town initiative, discussed releasing a report about the Spring Social Engagement Survey, appointed Britton Masback ’24 as elections chair, and approved funding for the Tigers Helping Tigers program. 

READ THE STORY →

In Opinion, Senior Columnist Julia Chaffers argues that rather than supporting students during these difficult times, Princeton’s policies are compounding students’ burnout a year into online learning. With only a two-day reprieve during this unprecedented semester, Chaffers observes that mental exhaustion has risen among the student body amid the constant reality of Zoom courses, the difficulties inherent in balancing work and social life, and the fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic. Chaffers notes that by curtailing the duration of the only significant break of this semester, the University shifted the collective burden of striving to reduce the spread of COVID-19 onto individuals, a decision that arrives at the expense of the mental wellbeing of students, faculty, and staff.

“It would be one thing if the University maintained its lofty standards during the pandemic. But it has actually raised those standards, asking students, faculty, and staff to do more with less,” writes Chaffers.

READ THE COLUMN →

Also in Opinion, Columnist Claudia Frykberg argues that despite doubts regarding the credibility of anonymous sources in journalism, anonymity is an important tool that allows survivors of mistreatment to share their stories. Frykberg writes, “In being able to keep their identity a secret, collective anonymity can enable women to feel safe enough to share their experiences.”

READ THE COLUMN →

SPONSORED: Save the environment and 10% on your electric usage bill by getting your electricity from your share of a local community solar farm.
Plus, it’s cheaper than the standard rate! 
Ice cream from around Princeton
Sydney Eck / The Daily Princetonian 

At Your Leisure: 

Mental Health at Princeton:

Theatre critic Aybars Onder speaks with the cast and production team behind The Manic Monologues,” a play that aims to reduce mental health stigma by sharing real life struggles with mental health, to discuss the major changes the play underwent due to COVID-19. 

Play and Listen:

Womens' History Month Crossword
Lauren Fromkin / The Daily Princetonian 
  • Try your hand at this week’s crossword puzzle, “ ’76, ’87, ’85,” created by Contributing Constructor Ava Milberg. The puzzle’s theme presents a fitting match for this Women’s History Month and will make you sing three cheers for Old Nassau. Read Co-Head Puzzles Editor Gabriel Robare’s commentary on the puzzle here.
  • While walking around and enjoying the warm weather outside, take some time to listen to the new Daybreak episode and catch up on old ones here
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Celia Buchband. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp