Monday, March 22, 2021

PSAFE officers to wear body cameras; Avi Wigderson GS ’83 awarded Abel Prize

Todays Briefing: 

In accordance with new state regulations, police officers working under the University's Department of Public Safety (PSAFE) will begin wearing body cameras this spring. This change comes after legislation signed by N.J. Gov. Phil Murphy last November, which mandates the use of body cameras for all uniformed law enforcement officers, including at colleges and universities.

However, officers will not record all interactions, only those that involve police response to emergency calls. In addition, only the department's 39 sworn officers will wear body cameras, while "security officers" who focus on University building safety but lack the powers of a sworn officer, will not. 

READ THE STORY →

Mathematician and theoretical computer scientist Avi Wigderson GS ’83 has been awarded the 2021 Abel Prize, often regarded as the equivalent of a Nobel Prize in the field of mathematics.

Wigderson shares the prize with Hungarian mathematician László Lovász “for their foundational contributions to theoretical computer science and discrete mathematics and their leading role in shaping them into central fields of modern mathematics.” The two will split the prize of 7.5 million Norwegian kroner, or approximately $880,000. 

READ THE STORY →

A lab led by Yibin Kang, Professor of Molecular Biology, reported the discovery of a new organelle involved in cancer metastasis — the spread of cancer tumors throughout the body.

The research team studied liquid-liquid phase separation within cells to identify the organelle that contributes to cancer metastasis. According to Yang, the discovery is significant for cancer research as “this is the first time that biomolecular condensation is shown to be involved in cancer metastasis.”

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED: Save the environment and 10% on your electric usage bill by getting your electricity from your share of a local community solar farm.
Plus, it’s cheaper than the standard rate! 

In Opinion

Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian
• Contributing columnist Matt Mleczko explains what we can do to offset current housing policy inequalities, in light of the prediction that Princeton students will likely perpetuate these inequalities in the future. He writes, “Unfortunately, our current housing policies nearly guarantee that Princeton graduates will contribute to inequality wherever they live”, through both gentrification and ethnoracial and socioeconomic segregation. 

Columnist Andi Grene, drawing from personal experience, argues that University financial aid should not be seen as generous but as the minimum. She writes, “Although we can, and should, feel honored to have been deemed deserving of a Princeton acceptance, only a gentle satisfaction is warranted in regards to aid.”

At your leisure

• FROM THE PROSPECT: If you're planning to try out Junbi, Princeton's newest matcha place, check out this piece by staff writer Sydney Eck. who reviewed the boba from Junbi in a follow up to her first Tiger Town Treats installment! Give it a read here, and check out the first set of boba reviews here!
  • FROM THE PROSPECT: Think animations reign supreme over live-action films? TV/Shows Critic Etiosa Omeike is with you there! In his latest review, Omeike discusses the impact that adaptations of animated classics to modernized, adult-centric live actions have on the classics themselves and their ultimate meanings. Check it out here!
Just South Jersey Things
Nicabec Casido / The Daily Princetonian
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Nathalie Verlinde. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp