Friday, March 12, 2021

Classics professor sues ACLS; University memo outlines potential plans for in-person fall semester

“Blind justice and plaza, Federal courthouse, Newark” by Ron Coleman / CC BY 2.0

Todays Briefing: 

Classics professor Joshua Katz has filed a lawsuit alleging that the American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS), a federation of 75 scholarly organizations, retracted his invitation to serve as one of the society’s delegates to a prominent international conference after he wrote a controversial op-ed last July. 

Katz is seeking unspecified monetary compensation on the basis that the organization’s actions caused himsubstantial damage, lessened his reputation, and reduced his potential for future advancement.” In a statement to The Daily Princetonian, an ACLS spokesperson wrote that “through the judicial process, ACLS will vigorously defend the claims that Dr. Katz initiated.” 

Last July, Katz drew controversy when he published an op-ed in Quillette denouncing a letter signed by more than 350 Princeton faculty members calling on President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 and senior administrators to enact 48 anti-racist demands. In the op-ed, Katz called a disbanded student activist group, the Black Justice League, a “local terrorist organization.”

READ THE STORY →

On Thursday, a memo instructed Princeton faculty and staff to prepare for an in-person fall semester in 2021. According to the letter, the goal is to get students back to classrooms, but some public health restrictions may remain in place. As a COVID-19 precaution, most summer programs will remain virtual. Thursday’s memo came from Provost Deborah Prentice and Executive Vice President Treby Williams ’84.

READ THE STORY →

Several University faculty members have recently helped establish the Academic Freedom Alliance (AFA), a non-profit organization that seeks to uphold “the principle of free speech in academia.” Notable members include Professor of Politics Keith E. Whittington, Ira W. DeCamp Professor of Bioethics Peter Singer, and Classics Professor Joshua Katz.

“We are committed to providing defense to members of the organization if they find themselves in a free speech or academic freedom controversy,” said Whittington, the appointed Academic Committee Chair of the organization.

READ THE STORY →

Chair of the African American Studies (AAS) Department Eddie S. Glaude, Jr. GS ’97, won the 2021 Stowe Prize for his most recent book, titled Begin Again: James Baldwin's America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own. According to a statement released by the AAS department, “The Stowe Prize recognizes a distinguished book of general adult fiction or non-fiction that illuminates a critical social justice issue in contemporary society in the United States.”

READ THE STORY →

SPONSORED: Save the environment and 10% on your electric usage bill by getting your electricity from your share of a local community solar farm.
Plus, it’s cheaper than the standard rate! 
Katja Fuhlert / Pixabay

New Jersey is expanding vaccine eligibility: here's what you need to know

• On March 15, more populations in the state of New Jersey will be eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, including those between the ages of 16 and 64 with pre-existing conditions including asthma and type I diabetes.
  • In addition, public safety and transportation workers, members of tribal communities, and people experiencing homelessness will also be eligible.
  • Even as New Jersey increases eligibility, vaccine supply remains limited and open appointments are difficult to find.

Latest from Opinion

“Buckingham Palace, London” by Merlin UK / CC BY-SA 3.0
  • Associate Opinion Editor Kristal Grant questions why the public should sympathize with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, after the sensational fallout from the couple’s recent Oprah Winfrey interview. Grant acknowledges that while the couple’s situation is tragic, the true tragedy lies in the British monarchy’s inherently unjust system of power and influence, as well as Meghan’s complicity by virtue of being willing to belong to this institution in the first place.

At Your Leisure

Ashley Chung / The Daily Princetonian
  • PUZZLES: Try your hand at this week’s crossword puzzle, “No Reason,” Puzzle contributor Cole Vandenberg’s crosswords debut! Read the accompanying commentary here!
  • FROM THE PROSPECT: With only nine total episodes, Marvel’s “WandaVision” has become one of the most popular TV shows in the world. The ‘Prince’ sat down with creator, head writer, and executive producer Jac Schaeffer ’00 to discuss her path from Princeton to TV. Check it out here!

• PODCAST: On the move? Catch up on the latest Princeton news with Daybreak, the ‘Prince’ daily podcast! Find the latest episode here!
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by ___. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp