Wednesday, February 10, 2021

University pauses standardized testing requirement, Vladimir Gel'man dissects Putin's legacy

Ashley Chung / The Daily Princetonian 

Today's Briefing:

From empty lecture halls to canceled sports events, the COVID-19 pandemic has caused many changes to the college experience. However, such changes are not exclusive to college students. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions recently announced that it will halt the standardized testing requirement for high school student applicants during the 2021-22 admissions cycle. While students will have the ability to submit scores if they choose, those who are unable to will not be at a disadvantage.

READ THE STORY →

At a recent virtual lecture titled "Challenges to Russian Authoritarianism: Is Putin Forever?" hosted by various academic departments at Princeton, Russian political scientist Vladimir Gel'man discussed the implications of Russia's recent economic modernization and the arrest of Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny.

READ THE STORY →

In the last installment of a three-part series by Divest Princeton, alumni, graduate students, and current students discuss how major University donors are intimately tied to the climate denial movement and urge the University to consider how accepting donations from such individuals is antithetical to Princeton's mission of supporting climate action.

READ THE COLUMN

Guest contributors Faris Zwirahn and Deanna Dyer argue that, with Trump's second impeachment trial having just begun, it is time for the Republican Party to reflect on recent tumultuous events and hold him accountable to the Founding Fathers' standards for America. As the contributors note, "the problem now is a political culture that seems, more than ever, foreign to American democratic traditions."

READ THE COLUMN →

What it's like being a comedy writer during COVID-19

Features Staff Writer Anna Salvatore discusses comedy writing in the midst of a pandemic with Jay Katsir '04, a head writer for The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. From attempting to elicit laughter through muted Zoom screens to providing comfort during trying times, Katsir traces both the difficulties and pleasures of working with the show over past months.

READ THE STORY 

Denise Applewhite /
Office of Communications 

Returning To Campus: 

:At Your Leisure

• LISTEN: Don't miss the latest episodes of Daybreak, a daily news podcast from The Daily Princetonian.
  • WHERE: Find it on Spotify or by clicking here.
Computer Love
Payton Croskey / The Daily Princetonian
Today's newsletter was copy edited by Isabel Rodrigues. Thank you. 
Website

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp