Friday, February 5, 2021

Alumni allege history of inappropriate conduct with female students by Princeton professor Joshua Katz

East Pyne Hall, home to Princeton’s classics department, at dusk.
Jonathan Ort / The Daily Princetonian

Today's Briefing: 

For two decades at Princeton, Joshua Katz has stood out for mentoring undergraduate students. Now, an investigation by the ‘Prince’ uncovered allegations that Katz crossed professional lines with three of the female students he mentored.

Eight alumni allege Katz engaged in a relationship with their friend, an undergraduate advisee of his, in the mid-2000s — and three of the eight asserted that she told them the relationship became sexual. Such a relationship, if confirmed, would violate both current University policies and those in place at the time.

A second student, who attended Princeton after the mid-2000s alumna, claims Katz pursued her while she was a student through “repeated boundary violations”: gifts from travels abroad, comments on the way she dressed, and one-on-one dinners at upscale restaurants off-campus, where he always paid.

The University was provided a detailed summary of the allegations in the story and declined to comment on specific claims. University Spokesperson Ben Chang said in a written statement that “we will not comment on personnel matters.”

Katz did not respond to many requests for an interview, including emails that detailed the story’s allegations. Samantha Harris ’99, who told the ‘Prince’ she is Katz’s attorney, also declined to comment on specific allegations, calling the story a “planned smear” of Katz.

READ THE FULL STORY →

In Other News

• On Thursday afternoon a gas leak in Palmer Square was caused by a construction accident. Several buildings were evacuated due to the incident. A firefighter helping with the evacuation noted that the leak was “at explosive levels.”
  • In his annual State of the University letter, President Christopher Eisgruber 83 wrote about the impact that COVID-19 has had on the Princeton community. He also reasserted his commitment to “institutional values” amid the “heated debates” about free speech that have consumed the world both inside and outside of the Orange Bubble. 

Fire trucks on Nassau Street
Candace Do / Daily Princetonian
Fire trucks on Witherspoon Street
Candace Do / Daily Princetonian

From the Opinion Section

• Senior Columnist Julia Chaffers contextualizes the significance of WNBA team Atlanta Dream during the Georgia runoff elections.
  • Columnist Brittani Telfair uses TikTok videos to point out the use of the word “preferences” as a part of the deeply embedded pattern of white supremacy in Western society's dating culture. 

At Your Leisure

From "Why being queer ended up a gift." 
Wendy Ho / The Daily Princetonian 
Today's newsletter was copy edited by Cecilia Zubler. Thank you. 
Website

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp