Tuesday, February 2, 2021

2021 Reunions go virtual, University announces take-home exams for all Spring semester classes

Students under Blair Arch 
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian 

Today’s Briefing: 

No luck for reuniting classes nor the Class of 2020; Class of 2021, there is still hope! Due to the pandemic, the University has decided all 2021 alumni events will take place virtually as a result of constraints in hosting a high volume of people while maintaining safety. In addition, the Class of 2020’s in-person Commencement event cannot be hosted on campus either. A decision about the Class of 2021’s Commencement is expected to be released by late February. 

READ THE STORY →

The student has become the master...or at least the testing proctor? The University has decided that all Spring semester exams will be take-home although faculty still have the option to switch to a Registrar-schedule exam. According to the Office of the Registrar, some benefits include more student scheduling power, reduced scheduling requests, and more explicit expectations regarding academic integrity. 

READ THE STORY →

Joshua Geltzer ’05 has been appointed as President Joe Biden’s special assistant and has also joined homeland security as a special advisor for countering domestic violent extremism. Following the attacks on the Capitol, Biden has declared his intent to investigate the issue of domestic extremism. 

READ THE STORY →

In Opinion, Columnist Claudia Frykberg cautions that removing standardized testing requirements from college applications can be a hindrance to inclusivity, despite being regarded as a method for increasing equality. Frykberg writes, “The University should remember that although testing may serve as a barrier to many, it also allows students who succeed in testing environments to showcase their academic potential.”

READ THE OPINION →

On campus? Make sure to bundle up!
Snow Plow at Work 
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian 
Here is one more Tiger Alert for your inbox! The major snowstorm in the Northeast closed campus throughout the first day of classes and continues to keep campus closed, at the very least through 5 p.m this evening.  The storm forced the hybrid courses on campus to temporarily move online on the first day of school and has closed the campus for all non-essential workers.

Libraries, athletic facilities, study spaces, and campus transportation have also been closed due to the weather. Dining halls, excluding the dining tents, and COVID-19 test drop-off sites remained open. 

At Your Leisure: 

• Television star Jonathan Van Ness and media personality Ashlee Marie Preston spoke with Judy Jarvis about the 2020 election, journalism, and living authentically. Van Ness encouraged young people to get involved by stating,    “[ . . . ] we need you to really be on these front lines, so get involved with politics, get involved with truth telling.”
Jonathan Van Ness and Ashlee Marie Preston Speaking with Judy Jarvis
Marissa Michaels / The Daily Princetonian 
FROM THE VIDEO TEAM: In the latest edition of “How to Get into Princeton in 2020,” Daniel Drake ’24 discusses campus visits and alumni interviews with members of the Class of 2024. 
Quarantine Daily Routine
Hazel Flaherty / The Daily Princetonian 
Today's newsletter was copy edited by Catie Parker. Thank you. 
Website

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp