Friday, February 19, 2021

Associate Dean for Public Affairs and Communication nominated as Chief of Staff of CEA, Ivy League cancels spring athletic season

Robertson Hall / School of Public and International Affairs
Today's Briefing: 

Elisabeth Donahue, associate dean for public affairs and communication for the School of Public and International Affairs, has retired from her position, as she has been nominated to the Council of Economic Advisers (CEA) as its Chief of Staff. She will serve under former SPIA Dean Cecilia Rouse, who will chair the Council. 

On Donahue’s retirement as Associate Dean, University Spokesperson Ben Chang wrote in a statement to the ‘Prince,’ “We congratulate Elisabeth on joining the Biden-Harris administration to work alongside Ceci Rouse in the Council of Economic Advisors, and are excited for her as she joins the many Princetonians serving in the interest of the public good.”

READ THE STORY →

The Ivy League will not see athletic competition for the entire duration of the 2020-21 academic year, though there may be potential for “local spring competition” if there is a drastic improvement in public health conditions. According to the announcement, travel concerns and restrictions were deemed incompatible with the structure of the athletic season.

READ THE STORY →

In order to conform to COVID-19 health guidelines and social distancing measures, Campus Dining has changed its meal offerings considerably this spring semester. The quality, quantity, and variety of food offerings have elicited mixed reviews among the student body, with some students voicing concerns about the scant portions of food they receive and others complaining about the repetitive nature of the meals.

According to University Spokesperson Michael Hotchkiss, the limited meal options are part of a deliberate plan.

“Campus Dining’s chefs collaborated on the current three-week cycle menu while considering: production square footage; equipment available in each unit; servery layouts designed for students to serve themselves; and the need to keep staff members socially distant while performing their job responsibilities,” he wrote.

READ THE STORY →

Opinion writer Dillion Gallagher urges students to “look up,” both literally and figuratively, in order to better appreciate the campus' beautiful surroundings and reckon with the fraught nature of these unprecedented times. 

Gallagher argues that this simple dictum can simultaneously inspire creativity, fortify resolve in the face of challenges, and allow some semblance of connection amid a time of rampant isolation.

READ THE OPINION →

At Your Leisure

FROM CARTOON: "How to succeed at failing," a visual essay by Wendy Ho
Check it out →
  • FROM THE PROSPECT: Staff writer Paige Cromley discusses the impact, and lack thereof, of professor Peter Singer's famous “Famine, Affluence, and Morality,” insofar as it is understood in the context of the present day.
  • CROSSWORD: Try your hand at this week’s crossword puzzle, titled “A Formal Occasion.” According to the commentary from Head Editor Gabe Robare, the theme will make players groan, then laugh.
  • PODCASTS: Listen to the latest episode of Daybreak to learn what’s new in local and global news. Also, check out this week’s episode of The Prospect's ‘Book-ish’ podcast, in which Robare reviews “A Mathematician’s Apology” by G.H. Hardy and explores why the author both deems math useless and considers it a worthwhile endeavor.
Today's newsletter was copy edited by Auhjanae McGee. Thank you. 
Website

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp