February 18, 2021

As we ease into the Spring Semester, we are excited to welcome you back to Intersections, The Prospect's newsletter dedicated to delivering arts and culture to your inbox.

Although the majority of undergraduates have returned to Princeton's campus for the spring, campus life will not return to normalcy for some time. Classes remain almost entirely online, meaning that students still cannot indulge in many of the everyday delights of being a Princeton student — from congregating in the grand lecture halls of McCosh to the unexpected thrill of bumping into a friend while walking across campus.

Yet in spite of the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, students remain resilient and resourceful in their efforts to stay connected with others through the arts. During the month of January, the Program in Theater premiered Emma Watkins's '18 play "Unbecoming" which also served as a senior thesis for Prospect Head Editor emerita Paige Allen '21 and Eliana Cohen-Orth '21. The Princeton University Orchestra recently released a performance of Handel's Overture from "Royal Fireworks Music," which students worked on over the fall. On Feb. 6th, the Trenton Youth Orchestra (TYO) live streamed its Fall 2020 concert featuring Antonin Dvorak's "New World Symphony," as well as original compositions written by TYO musicians and performed by Princeton student volunteers.

While such events cannot replicate the intimacy and vibrancy of live performances, they allow us to remain engaged with our rich and diverse community, and remind us of how the arts can act as an outlet for emotional release and healing during times of hardship. With poignant self reflections and beautiful meditations on poetry, our writers share how they've found refuge in the arts during the extended periods of solitude afforded by COVID-19.

I am reminded of a passage from Giorgio Vasari’s reflections on the lives of artists, wherein he comments upon Michelangelo’s affinity for solitude: “No one should think it strange that Michelangelo took pleasure in solitude, as a man deeply enamored of his art, which wants a man to be alone and pensive for its own purposes … those who attend to the considerations of art are never alone or without thoughts…” (Vasari 472-473). Although most (if not all) of us will never amount to the genius of Michelangelo, we have all been forced into extended periods of isolation. Perhaps, like the great artists of then (and now), we can find solace in our solitude by engaging more thoughtfully with the arts.

As always, we would love to hear from you! If you feel so inclined, share your reflections with us at prospect@dailyprincetonian.com.

Cammie Lee ’22
Co-Head Editor of The Prospect
cameronl@princeton.edu

Subscribe to Intersections

What’s the Conversation

• With students returning to Princeton for the spring semester, Campus Dining had to plan strategically to deliver Covid-safe meals. Senior Writer and Food Critic Jack Allen ’21 speaks to Smitha Haneef, the Assistant Vice President for University Services, to get an inside look at what went on behind the scenes in the weeks prior to students’ arrivals. Additionally, Allen asks students for their opinions on the meals they received. Read the story.
Etiosa Omeike / The Daily Princetonian
  • Senior writer and Literature Critic Aditi Desai ’24 reviews former President Barack Obama’s memoir “A Promised Land,” specifically focusing on an excerpt that details his journey to establish the Affordable Care Act. She highlights how both personal and political factors can influence our future careers.
  • Senior writer and Head Editor emerita Paige Allen ’21 profiles Topaz Winters (also known as Priyanka Aiyer ’23), an acclaimed poet and editor-in-chief of the publishing house Half Mystic. Aiyer details her personal history with poetry as a Singaporean woman and discusses being a member of Songline Slam, her struggles with writer’s block and how she overcame them, and more.
  • Contributing writer Jeffrey Liao ’24 poetically highlights the works of five contemporary poets, refreshing perspectives after the 18th century Shakespearean catalogue he was limited to in high school.
  • Staff writer Paige Cromley ’24 discusses the impact, and lack thereof, of Peter Singer's famous "Famine, Affluence, and Morality," insofar as it is understood in the context of the present day. 
  • Senior writer Lillian Chen ’21 describes the emotional impact Disney Pixar’s “Soul” had on her as a graduating senior. She touches on post-graduation anxieties, fear of change, and overcoming trauma.
Sandy Yang / The Daily Princetonian
  • Introducing Book-ish: A Prospect Podcast. From The Daily Princetonian, Book-ish is more than a book review podcast: tune in every other Saturday for a discussion of a great book and its cultural significance, hosted by Contributing Writer Gabriel Robare ‘24. For the first installment of Book-ish, Robare describes his experience re-reading Jane Austen’s Emma this past winter. Listen to the episode here, or stream on Spotify.

Have a book you want us to review, or want to talk about a previous episode? Send us an email at podcast@dailyprincetonian.com.

Sandy Yang / The Daily Princetonian

What to Do This Weekend

• The Manic Monologues site went live this morning! Watch this incredible production for candid confessions on how mental illness has impacted their lives.
  • The Princeton-Rutgers 12th annual Victorian Symposium will be organized around the theme of “Dis/Unity” in Victorian literature and 19th century studies.
  • The Thomas Edison Film Festival Premiere kicks off on Saturday with its 40th iteration. Tune in for award-winning films like “Maya at 24” and “The Ephemeral Orphanage.”

Submit a Love Story

Are you a Princeton University student or alum with a story to tell about love? The Prospect wants to hear from you. We define love stories broadly; reflections on your relationship with your parents, the loss of a loved one, a meaningful friendship, or a breakup with a significant other all qualify as love stories! 

There are two options for submission: Heartstrings are up to 1,700 words, and Lil’ Love Stories are 100 - 200 words. You can submit anonymously (but you’re not required to!). Submit your story here.

Lillian Chen '21 is the founder and curator of the "Heartstrings & Lil' Love” column. If you have any questions, she can be reached at lillianc@princeton.edu.

Today's newsletter was copy edited by Cecilia Zubler '23.
Homepage
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently. 

Our mailing address is: 
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ  08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540-5116 · USA